Tenancy Deposit Scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy Deposit Scheme

I have agreed distribution of deposit with tenant and submitted same to Deposit Scheme. To date, tenant has not responded to Deposit Scheme to formally agree. What is my next step?

Speak to tenant.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I have been messaging tenant but she just replies that she is overwhelmed with move, etc and doesn't respond to dps. I just don't know what next step is if she continues not to bother to act. We have agreed on amount to come to me (landlord) and what amount will be refund to her. (Tenant) by message. She no longer lives locally so I can't visit her in person to discuss.

Comment

Just leave it, its not up to you to chase the tenant. You have agreed a deduction which as been applied the rest of the deposit has been returned so its up to the tenant now, why are you chasing the T?

Was this a custodial or insured deposit protection?
        Any advice I give is my opinion and experience, I am as you also learning.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnyp View Post
          why are you chasing the T?
          To get the money owed to them?
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Ok so the TDS has time limits right? Assuming this is a custodial protection the LL has applied to the TDS for a portion of the deposit to be paid to them. I would have thought the TDS will write to each party notifying them of this and set time limits to respond and if any party fails to respond the TDS distributes the deposit??
            Any advice I give is my opinion and experience, I am as you also learning.

Comment

Custodial with DPS. We agreed beforehand and I contacted DPS but tenant has not contacted them. That is why I am chasing her. No funds will be distributed until she agrees.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by Lawcruncher
                Just to clarify, what I meant was that the requirement comes from the tenancy terms if they include it....
                29-01-2022, 08:38 AM
              • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by Piffy
                I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
              • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                by Flashback1966
                or just work hard and hopefully take an early retirement.

You can't predict the future. Things always go in cycle. They want to get rid of Section 21, so you may be unable to get your property back. You may end up working and subsidising your rentals....
                29-01-2022, 03:42 AM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by DoricPixie
                It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
                28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
              • Renting rooms
                by Luke
                I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
                I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
                I do not intend to live at the property
                Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
                As its...
                28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by DoricPixie
                I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
                28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by theartfullodger
                Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
                28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by Hudson01
                If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
                28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
              • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by jpkeates
                That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
                The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
                28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
              Working...
              X