Tenant wants to sub-let for a few months

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tenant wants to sub-let for a few months

    I have an international student renting a studio, she is being placed on a student exchange for 4 months swapping with another student from Italy whom she knows from previous research together. Personally I don't have a particular issue with it, she's very mature and wouldn't want just anyone staying in her apartment. My letting agency have told me it's not possible but I sometimes wonder whether they can't be bothered with the hassle. I certainly don't want to fall foul of any laws but I'm rather sympathetic to her paying rent for 4 months for an empty studio. I'm a nice LL but not quite nice enough to let her off the rent.

    My agency have told me it's about serving Sctn 21.

    Any advice appreciated.



    If your tenant sublets and moves out, the tenancy, strictly speaking, should stop being an AST.
    That impacts all sorts of things, including your ability to serve s21 notice, which applies to ASTs only.

    I'm not sure how that plays out in real life, as tenancies that morph from an AST to a different type of tenancy and then back doesn't seem practical.

    In this case, if you trust the tenant and are confident that they're going to return and the temporary visitor is going to then leave, it might be best if you just ignored it and let them sort it out.
    That's not what a solicitor or your agent would advise though.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      It certainly is possible.
      Even if the tenancy prevents sub-letting, that is up to you whether you want to stick to that.

      Personally, I would just let her.
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong


        Surely if she paid four months rent up front over the summer holidays, you would be none the wiser and wouldn't need to worry until the end of that period. If, after that period, the rent stopped and you 'discovered' someone else living there, the repossession process would be quick and easy.
        I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.


        Latest Activity


        • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
          by Renterthedragon
          I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

          I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

          Approaching the end...
          18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
        • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
          by ash72
          I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

          Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
          18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
        • notifying utility companies of tenant change
          by flyingfreehold
          Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
          18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
        • Reply to Single parent renting
          by Hooper
          I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
          18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
        • Single parent renting
          by Dct
          A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
          18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
        • Reply to Single parent renting
          by Hudson01
          This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
          18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
        • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
          by Hudson01
          As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
          18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
        • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
          by Forgetmeknot
          I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
          so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
          18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
        • Reply to Let a house to local council
          by ram
          If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

          It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
          18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
        • Let a house to local council
          by r3drum

          Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

          Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
          20-11-2019, 11:58 AM