Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Items to include in Inventory

Hi all,
    I'm about to rent my apartment out and I'm in the process of writing the inventory.

There are some non essential items that I'm happy to leave in the flat for the tenants to use (Espresso Machine, old PC printer, etc.) but I'm reluctant to put them in the inventory because if they break then I believe I'm supposed to replace them.

At the same time I don't want the tenants to sell them on eBay the following day

Is there a way to specify these items in the inventory, but not take responsibility if they break?

I would take your rubbish with you, then there's no misunderstanding.
    Just because something is on the inventory, doesn't mean you are responsible to repair/replace it.

Conversely, if something is not on the inventory, doesn't mean the tenant isn't responsible for it if it goes missing or gets broken.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Completely agree with thesaint. Don't leave your old rubbish behind. Tenants probably have more than enough stuff of their own and ultimately won't thank you for it.

If you're determined to leave something bulky behind, might I suggest that you actually try to flog it to the tenants for £££ (provide a receipt with copies for both of you) to show that it is now theirs and therefore you're not responsible for repairs?

Otherwise, stick it on eBay/Gumtree etc.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
        Conversely, if something is not on the inventory, doesn't mean the tenant isn't responsible for it if it goes missing or gets broken.
        Likewise if your Expresso electrocutes the tenant.

Comment

If the items are in the property when the tenant moves in, they can easily claim that they're part of what they're renting and ask you to replace repair them.
          If you do viewings, you'd have to specifically exclude them from such an arrangement.

If the tenant electrocutes themselves on your old printer, you'd possibly be liable (depends if they were licking the plug or trying to print).

As above, don't leave your possessions in the flat unless they're part of what's being rented and you would be happy to replace or repair them.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X