Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit deductions

Hi All,

I was a student in a house with 3 other friends. I was the lead tenant and as such, the deposit of all tenants was returned to me. Unfortunately one of the tenants fell behind in their bills and refused to pay. I have deducted their outstanding bills from their deposit and then returned the remainder, I have proof of all the bills and lack of payment and proof that they were told how much they owed every month but I wanted your views on whether this would cause any legal issues.

Sounds perfectly fine to me. Come back here if you have any problem.

Comment

The worst that could happen is that the defaulting-on-bills T could sue you for the money you have witheld (always assuming they can prove they paid it to you in the first place), but you could counter claim showing that they owed you x amount for the bills. I cannot see them bothering to take this court, tbh.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X