Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant Potentially Abandoned Property

Hello.

I have an interesting situation developing with one of my properties.

Two tenants, one hasn't been seen at the property for a number of weeks, other tenant is concerned about him. He was the person making the rent payments but has missed June's payment and was short on Aprils rent.

He's not communicating with the other tenant, he's also not responding to my calls or messages.

Other tenant is concerned if he doesn't come back.

The question I have is how do you deem it if he has abandoned the property without being able to speak to him? The tenant still there cannot afford the rent if he abandons the house so she will at her own admission have to move out.

Can I send him an email to advise we are concerned he may have abandoned the property and to give him a set amount of time to reply or we will deem it as such that he has left, and then arrange for the tenancy to end with the other tenant?

He still has belongings at the address, are we duty bound to store these for him for a set amount of time after/should the tenancy end...

Just need a little clarification on what we can and cannot do just in case this becomes messy.

Any recommendations would be appreciated,

Many thanks

Is it a joint tenancy, or are there two separate agreements?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It is a joint AST tenancy

Comment

I'd ask the tenant to serve notice, which they can do for both of them, otherwise she will continue to be liable for the rent.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Is the tenancy still within the fixed term?
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I have already suggested that, if it is the case that the other guy has "disappeared" she says he can't afford the property so she will have to serve notice on me.

If notice is served by her and then expires the other guy then cannot claim he is the tenant and try to gain access?

Feel bad for her to be honest.

Comment

it is still within the fixed term.

Comment

In that case, a valid notice cannot be served.
                There is no way to guarantee that there are no comebacks to you as a landlord in this scenario.

As it's a joint tenancy, what I would do is get the other person to agree a surrender of the tenancy detailing why they are doing so, and that they have no further claim on the property or anything that may be left behind.

You then hope the other tenant doesn't appear until after the fixed term ends.
                Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I agree with that.
                  Unless the fixed term is close to its end, you are going to accept a surrender of the tenancy that, done correctly, both tenants have to agree.

But I don't think you have much choice (other than go the section 8 route for the unpaid rent and agree with the remaining tenant that they won't contest it.
                  But that would end the tenants chance of help from the local authority.

Comment

Let's have some basic info by completing & pasting http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ll-new-posters
                    When does fixed term expire?
                    If remaining T is expecting Council assistance, she cannot serve NTQ, or offer early surrender (intentionally homeless?)
                    Best if absent T can be located to serve NTQ or offer early surrender to terminate the Tenancy

Comment

Does your ta permit you to use section 8?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
                        by DoricPixie
                        It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
                        28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
                      • Renting rooms
                        by Luke
                        I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
                        I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
                        I do not intend to live at the property
                        Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
                        As its...
                        28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
                      • Reply to Renting rooms
                        by DoricPixie
                        I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
                        28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
                      • Reply to Renting rooms
                        by theartfullodger
                        Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
                        28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
                      • Reply to Renting rooms
                        by Hudson01
                        If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
                        28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
                      • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                        by jpkeates
                        That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
                        The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
                        28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
                      • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                        by Piffy
                        I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                        27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
                      • Reply to Renting rooms
                        by DoricPixie
                        You can't have your cake and eat it Luke. If you want to receive rental income from a property that is not also your main home you have to accept that the occupants will be tenants. This means that you will have to comply with all your legal obligations as a landlord unless you want it to come back...
                        28-01-2022, 16:09 PM
                      • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                        by DoricPixie
                        I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the model agreement that gave the requirement to leave the property reasonably clean regardless of the condition at the start of the tenancy - seems I wasn't.

I seem to recall the "professional" cleaning fee being an unfair clause although...
                        28-01-2022, 16:06 PM
                      Working...
                      X