Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rolling agreement or new AST?

Hello,

Me and my girlfriend rent a flat in London. We both signed an AST agreement in Jan 2014, initial term 12 months. Nobody else lives there, we pay the rent monthly (same date) and we paid a deposit.

The landlord sold the flat in July 2015. We wanted a new 12 month AST in the new landlord's name and I signed this in August 2015. My girlfriend was named on the agreement, but she was away at the time and never got round to signing.

The 12 month term is nearly up. The landlord is happy for it to turn into a rolling contract, which we are happy with also. Is it too late for my girlfriend to sign the agreement? Or would this mean we need a new AST agreement and both sign it this time?

Also, I understand that I'm the only one liable for the rent at this point, and I'm fine with that - but are there other reasons that she should be added? Or any disadvantages (to us) in having a rolling contract other than the lack of initial few months where notice can't be served on us to move?

Thank you for any replies!

It isn't too late for your girlfriend to sign the agreement.

You've been honouring it anyway, so it's really only a formality.
    I don't agree that only you are liable for the rent, as it's a joint contract (presumably), even if it's not complete.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you for your reply and your help.

I just checked the AST and the 12 months actually was up at the end of June. Am I right to presume my girlfriend can still sign it (because the contract is still running, albeit on a rolling basis)?

Comment

Yes.
        It essentially completes the formalities, even though it's late.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X