Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No deposit protection and deposit deductions

Hello everyone,

My previous landlord did not protect my deposit in any scheme, and at the end of the tenancy he decided to keep some of my money for cleaning without my consent. I did not have a contract because he refused to give me one, but he had not told me that cleaning the whole house was a prerequisite before I moved out. I have a handwritten receipt by him stating the deposit amount and date, and I have bank transfers to prove that I have been paying rent to him. Now, I would like to sue him for not protecting my deposit and not giving it all back to me when I didn't damage the property at all, and I already have the TD8 form. The thing is, he kept saying that he is not the owner of the house and he's acting like an "agent" for the landlord, who we've never heard of or seen, so he might as well be lying. The guy I've been dealing with does not live in the property and I don't have his address or e-mail, so I'm not sure where to send the TD8 form and whether it'd be valid. Could you please tell me what to do in this case and how to proceed with this? I'm not very familiar with all this. Thank you.

The failure to protect the deposit applies whether he is the landlord or the agent.

You can find out who owns the property by paying a £3.00 fee here https://www.gov.uk/search-property-i...-land-registry.

You can find the process to follow on the shelter web site.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If it also applies to the letting agent then I don't need to find out who owns it, correct? I found the agent's address on the phone book, so I could send the form to him? It's him who has the fault of the deductions, and probably for the deposit protection scheme too, and It's him I want to sue.

Comment

I don't know what form you're planning to send, but you should follow the shelter process, which would mean the first thing you send is a formal letter (they have a template on their site).
        The "agent" may try and use the "landlord" as a defence, so I'd invest the £3.00, always helps to know more.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

As advised, follow the steps in the link below.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...es?src=hpban-s

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X