Guarantor's Responsibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guarantor's Responsibility

Please can I ask if a landlord has a duty to inform a guarantor that the tenant has not paid the rent. My partner who is a guarantor has just received a letter saying the person he guarantees has not paid rent for 10 months. Should the landlord have advised him sooner say after the first month. Sorry if I have done this incorrectly have not used a forum before. Would be glad of any advice on what information a landlord should provide to guarantor. Thanks.

Unless it says anything specific in the guarantor's agreement, there's no requirement for a landlord to tell a guarantor anything unless they're making a claim against them.
    It would have been sensible for the landlord to have done it, but it doesn't automatically make the claim invalid.

Guarantor agreements are notoriously difficult to claim against, and your partner might want to take legal advice if 10 month's unpaid rent is a big amount (which I'd imagine it is_.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Mic View Post
      Would be glad of any advice on what information a landlord should provide to guarantor. Thanks.
      Before signing a Guarantor agreement the G should be supplied with copies of both the proposed tenancy agreement and the G agreement and given enough time to read them and seek legal advice if they wish.

To be enforceable, the G agreement should really be executed as a Deed and the G's signature witnessed.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X