Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AST agreement, if due date different from tenancy start

Hi all

I am using the Gov.uk draft AST agreement for a new tenant to sign.

I notice it says - the first payment is due on _____

And then the further payments are made on ___ of each month.

The question is - say if the first rent due date/tenancy start date was on 10th of the month (i.e. the deposit + first month rent) before they get possession. Then they request payments go out on end of each month.

How would you deal with this discrepancy between the two date?

The first rent due date is the start date of the tenancy, payment date and due date are not the same thing.
    Keep it simple.

Explain to the tenant that you need cleared funds in your account before you will give them possession - how far in advance they need ti start the process is up to them.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you for your message jpkeates.

My thought is, if they make first rent due+deposit on the 10th - that covers them from 10th --> 9th

Then if they they want to pay end of each month rent, So they have paid twice in one month?

Hope I make sense!

Comment

If the tenancy starts on 10th of July, with rent a month in advance, they pay on 10th July (for 10 July to 9 August) and then on 10th August and so on.

If they want to pay at the end of the month (which people do), start the tenancy on 28th of the month (so there's always a rent due day in the month).

Don't mess around with part months, that way madness lies.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by room9 View Post
          My thought is, if they make first rent due+deposit on the 10th - that covers them from 10th --> 9th

Then if they they want to pay end of each month rent, So they have paid twice in one month?
          Yes they would pay twice in the first month so you may need to explain that they are not paying twice for the same period and it will work in their favour at the end of the tenancy

Comment

If you are happy for them to have a rent due date at the end of the month, then in your position, I would have the first(pro-rata'd) rent payment paid for the 10th - 31st July, and then further payments on the 1st of the month.
            Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Unlicensed and HMO and room size
              by DPT57
              Actually I think the room size regulations in the Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (Mandatory Conditions of Licences)(England) Regulations 2018 are limited to licensable HMOs. The Part X Housing Act 1985 space standards would apply, but I believe that in these, a room that is smaller than...
              25-01-2022, 17:15 PM
            • Unlicensed and HMO and room size
              by zrux
              My area doesn't need a HMO licence for 4 bed property. The license is only reqd for a 5 bed and more.

I have a 4 bed property which I rent out to students as a 3 bedroom house. The 4th bedroom size is bit less than 6.51 sq meters reqd for a HMO license and as a result I have never allowed...
              25-01-2022, 14:11 PM
            • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
              by theartfullodger
              IHT and/or CGT exposure?
              25-01-2022, 17:05 PM
            • Inherited a few rentals
              by Landlord7289
              Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
              25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
            • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
              by theartfullodger
              Serve (yourself) s8 for arrears today.

Sounds like in addition to agent lack-of-perfection the Tenant hasn't heard the message.

Can we assume you'll provide no reference or only a full, honest one, and will instruct agent to do likewise?

Have you formally gone...
              25-01-2022, 17:04 PM
            • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
              by Beeble
              We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
              25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
            • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
              by jpkeates
              This is pretty much me, although my agent is very good and doesn't need much "rein".

They have a high street presence, which tenants like (makes the agent more real) and have multiple people to answer phones.
              And they have a mostly female staff, which is a big plus for ...
              25-01-2022, 16:51 PM
            • Greetings, I Come in Peace
              by AVJ113
              Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
              20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
            • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
              by jpkeates
              Paperwork shouldn't be an issue in claiming unpaid rent.
              Unpaid rent is usually easy to prove - the tenant's paid some and has obviously been renting something.

The issue is usually that the tenant doesn't have the money they owe.

The lack of agent and paperwork will...
              25-01-2022, 16:48 PM
            • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
              by Hudson01
              As said above, unless being a landlord has been a childhood dream (weird if it were), i vote to sell and move on. A lot of experienced LL's are selling up anyway due to a multitude of rubbish from the govt, in your position, simply reap the reward of your late fathers good financial decisions and enjoy...
              25-01-2022, 16:44 PM
            Working...
            X