Pet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pet question

Okay so I have recently (this week) signed a lease on a property.

For some background info: I'm a civil servant, this is my first property, (I love it id buy it if I had enough for a deposit) I have spent a not inconsiderable amount to furnish it with pieces of furniture that fit the period of the property.

Now the problem. I have two pet birds. I applied using a third party agent (let alliance) all the details were meticulously correct, including my two birds and a note that additional information on them their behaviour/training/temprement etc. was available on request.

The letting agent accepted my details. The final move is scheduled for my partner and I on Saturday. I noticed that their is a clause saying "I shall not keep cats dogs or any other pets in the property".
    I am (understandably I believe) irked by this. I have even bought wall coverings and large rugs to protect the landlords carpets and walls. (The cages have been modified to take Perspex panneling on the sides too).

Essentially my question is this: is their anything I can do now?

Such clauses banning pets (i.e., blanket prohibitions) are common but generally regarded as unfair - what it should say is 'no pets without the landlord's consent, which shall not be unreasonably withheld'.

So I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Just move in and if the LL or agent complains about the birds, remind them that you were completely honest about them in your application and nobody saw it as an issue, so you assumed it was fine.

Also point out that that the birds are not free-range so their impact on the property will be minimal. Or asre you planning to have them flying round the room?

However, in doing the above you do increase the risk that you will be asked to leave - for no specific reason - at the earliest legal opportunity (the end of your fixed term). If you value the possibility (although not the guarantee, as that does not exist) of a longer tenancy, then have the birds put down if they cannot safely be released into the wild. It's a miserable existence in a cage, when all's said and done...
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Under the current agreement I have a year.
      The birds are caged apart from supervised time outside the cage. They are hand reared, I studied zoology and wrote my thesis on ethology, so they are very well trained. Had I been more successful in getting volunteer work post uni I would of worked in a zoo, so I do put a great deal of effort into their welfare.

Is it just possible that they were of such little concern they didn't modify the agreement?
      Basically I just don't want to get shafted or make the LLs life more difficult.

Comment

You don't say what the birds are.

Humming bird or albatross ?
        Albatross may prove difficult to accept.
        ( Southern royal albatross wing span, 3m / 10 feet )

But as above, birds should not give a landlord any reason to complain.
        24 hour barking dogs, will.

Comment

A parakeet and an Amazon.

Both capable of having noisey periods, usually 15-20 minutes of continuous chattering in the evening is as bad as it gets, its certainly not as loud as a dog and it's a detached property.

Comment

Why risk causing a problem in the first place?
            Just ask for LL's written permission to keep 1 parakeet & 1 parrot before T commences, and show him your 'research'.
            He may not even know about LA Pet clause, but be impressed with any T that has read the AST and been open and honest with him asap., he may increase deposit required or require you to do a 'pet deep clean' at end of T, or just refuse permission. plenty of 'reasonable reasons' avail if reqd. even for denying a goldfish.

Comment

Originally posted by 1930mas View Post
              Under the current agreement I have a year.
              The birds are caged apart from supervised time outside the cage. They are hand reared, I studied zoology and wrote my thesis on ethology, so they are very well trained. Had I been more successful in getting volunteer work post uni I would of worked in a zoo, so I do put a great deal of effort into their welfare.

I don't doubt that you care for the birds or that they wouldn't survive long in the wild. It's the principle of caging birds for most of their existence which depresses the hell out of me. Birds didn't evolve to be caged - more than any other animal, they should (imo) be flying free in their natural habitat, not bred or captured to be 'pets'. Just a personal view (but I expect the birds would agree with me!).
              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

You appear to have clearly disclosed your intent to keep your pets at the time the tenancy was taken on, even offering them details on behaviour and temperament. The agent, who operates under the landlords instructions, did not dispute this. It is reasonable to accept this as an acknowledgement of an adaptation to the terms of the written agreement. I would therefore interpret the clause to mean no 'additional' pets to those already disclosed.
                Don't worry about it. If there is a dispute, it will be between the LL and agent.
                I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                  I don't doubt that you care for the birds or that they wouldn't survive long in the wild. It's the principle of caging birds for most of their existence which depresses the hell out of me. Birds didn't evolve to be caged - more than any other animal, they should (imo) be flying free in their natural habitat, not bred or captured to be 'pets'. Just a personal view (but I expect the birds would agree with me!).
                  Philosophically I do agree, all animals should be free.
                  Unfortunately that isn't possible so I have to provide them with the best life I possibly can.
                  My larger bird is actually trained to free fly I take her down to a local park most evenings so she can enjoy flying without bars.

It's neither here nor there but at a basic level I do agree, so I always feel like I need to explain myself.

Comment

First of all, move in.
                    Once the tenancy begins, and rent is being paid, all will be well.

Should at any point in the tenancy the issue be raised, there's very little the landlord can do about it in practice.
                    If the birds cause any damage, the landlord is entitled to compensation for it (and I don't see how they would be entitled to any more or less as a result of the breach of the contract).
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Perfectly happy to pay for damage, and a deep clean after the tenancy if required/requested.

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's not as scary as I initially thought.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X