Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant wants to redecorate prior to moving in

Hi

Some of the existing decor is not to the new tenants liking and admittedly some of the timberwork is tired and in need of a lick of paint.

I have requested that the tenant produces a list of proposed works , that must be signed off by myself prior to starting.

I'm thinking of creating a set if T&C's to supplement to agreed list of works.

Does anyone know where i get an appropriate t&c's to cover my back?

Is there anything I should consider before agreeing to any works?

thanks

Originally posted by lettingnewbie View Post
    Is there anything I should consider before agreeing to any works?
    Yes, not letting them do it.

If you're agreeable to having it done and they want it done then they can pay the guy you hire to do it prior to work commencing.
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

As above, and another member saying . Don't do it.
      But the bad thing is, you want to let them do it before moving in ?

Does that mean that if they have not moved in because they are "doing" your property, they will not expect to pay rent till they move in ? You can be assured they - will - live there.
      When they eventualy leave, don't be surprised when they say they are not paying the last 2 months rent because of all the work they did !

Never, never let tenants refurbish your property. That's your job, at your expence.

Comment

Totally agree with all above comments. If it needs doing, then you should do it at your expense. If it doesn't need doing but new T still wants to, then you engage the decorator and T pays. Only exception to this is if T is a professional decorator.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

If the property is not up to scratch for the types of tenants you'd like in there then do it up prior to letting it. If it will let to less desirable tenants in the condition it's in now, then let to them but expect what comes with that.
          "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X