Who's responsible for changing flooring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's responsible for changing flooring?

Hello all,

I'm wondering Who's responsibility is it to do the flooring in a rental property while the Tennant is still in there? We did put new flooring & carpet in before they moved in & they been there 7 years now.

The tenant thinks the flooring has deteriorated to the point where it needs replacing. It has deteriorated, but isn't dangerous at all.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Otis

It's the Landlords responsibility as I understand it. If it's worn out from wear and tear I guess it's time to replace unless yo ucan prove there has been extreme wear and tear over and above normal usage - like the tenant was running on the carpets 20 hours a day, 7 days a week... type thing...

Comment

Definitely the landlord should replace the floor covering. The average life of a carpet in a rental property is considered to be 7 years so you are right on target Otis.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

To answer your question.
        You are not responsible(no one is)for changing the floor coverings unless your contract(highly doubtful)says you are.
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

What type of flooring is it - carpet might need replacing after 7 years, but actual "flooring" seems a bit odd.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
            To answer your question.
            You are not responsible(no one is)for changing the floor coverings unless your contract(highly doubtful)says you are.
            I think you may be mistaken. If the flooring deteriorates to a point where it is a trip hazard and the T goes flying and knocks himself out on the door frame (as happened in a student house I know of) then I think you'll find that the LL was definitely in the wrong especially if the disrepair had been reported and he chose to ignore it.

Even if it isnt as bad as a hazard, it is in the LL 's interests to replace deteriorating flooring - it is poor business practice to allow your rental properties to become scruffy through wear and tear.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I don't think that there can be any claim of disrepair in relation to something that the landlord has no obligation to repair in the first place.

If the carpets become a trip hazard then the tenant would have to remedy it.

Comment

I think that you'll find that the landlord is responsible for replacing the flooring in the kitchen and bathroom because they must be easy to keep clean, but not responsible for other floor coverings.

Comment

Originally posted by Kay Powell View Post
                  I think that you'll find that the landlord is responsible for replacing the flooring in the kitchen and bathroom because they must be easy to keep clean, but not responsible for other floor coverings.
                  I would be grateful if you could provide a link to the relevant legislation.
                  Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I think we need to know what the tenant means by "flooring" and what state it's in.

A bathroom needs a floor.
                    I don't think it's necessary for it to be any particular kind of floor, although it probably has to be fit for purpose and safe.

But to me, "flooring" is what's underneath carpet or tiles, not the carpet or tiles themselves.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Were carpets included in move-in Inventory?
                      I suspect T & OP means 'floor covering'.

Comment

Retailers selling 'flooring' tend to mean any floor covering other than carpets, I.e., lino, cushionfloor/Amtico style vinyl sheet or tiles, laminate planks or tiles, solid or engineered wood,, or ceramic tiles - anything which is laid on top of the original floor structure.

They do not usually mean the floor itself ( ie the base concrete or floorboards).

Either way, if something underfoot is disintegrating, it is surely in the LL 's interests to replace/,repair it whether or not it falls within his statutory responsibility.
                        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Certainly, when we have had long term tenants, we have replaced carpets and lino when required. There is no point upsetting good long term tenants over the cost of a carpet.

Comment

so if it's the T's responsibility, does that mean you have no problem with the T changing the floor covering? Ie replacing the carpet, lino etc?

Comment

Originally posted by carolines100 View Post
                              so if it's the T's responsibility, does that mean you have no problem with the T changing the floor covering? Ie replacing the carpet, lino etc?
                              Not sure if this reply was for me, but i would happily replace worn flooring, carpet lino etc for my tenants. I would not exoect them to do so unless they had damaged the item themselves

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Letting out flat with WIFI included
                                by Saladboy
                                Hi All,

since I plan to move in with my partner and rent out my 1 bedroom, would you suggest a short term (like airbnb or similar) or a traditional 6m/1y contract rent? I’d not move the furniture so it would be furnished, and internet will be included since I’m under contract.
                                16-08-2022, 15:48 PM
                              • Bankrupty Order
                                by VictoriaH
                                How much of an adverse affect can this have on a tenant?
                                I've got a tenant who's playing the system, waiting for their eviction and CCJ
                                What adverse affect can a bankruptcy order have over a CCJ on a tenant?...
                                16-08-2022, 15:26 PM
                              • Reply to Future Issues for LL and Tenants
                                by jpkeates
                                People will have to start paying a wage people can live on.

And if there are fewer people there, there's less support needed....
                                16-08-2022, 14:59 PM
                              • Future Issues for LL and Tenants
                                by Hudson01
                                Looking at the news today (similar to yesterday and the day before), they are talking about combined energy bills of 4-5k a year...... by April 2023. There are many properties up north where the combined rental per annum is between 6-7k....... that is insane.

Could we have a situation...
                                13-08-2022, 22:08 PM
                                by DoricPixie
                                No teachers, no nurses, no care workers, no one collecting the rubbish and recycling? Who’s going to do all those jobs in London if they heave been forced to move out....
                                16-08-2022, 14:43 PM
                              • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
                                by Codger
                                It is upsetting to pay tax on inflation. Years ago there was a system for allowing for inflation but the tax was higher then.
                                But there is no sympathy for landlords now so we cannot do much.
                                16-08-2022, 14:13 PM
                              • Capital Gains Tax
                                by LVA
                                Apologies if this has been covered in this website but I've looked and cannot find...

I bought my flat in 1997, rented it out in 2001 (ish), returned to live in it in March 2020. Its approx 27 years ownership and 7 ish years living in it.

My accountant tells me the CGT...
                                16-08-2022, 12:59 PM
                              • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
                                by jpucng62
                                But you have had 20 years of rent as well as the huge gain left after CGT!...
                                16-08-2022, 14:12 PM
                                by jpkeates
                                That's a sensible point to make.

I wasn't suggesting that people gradually move further and further into the economic wilderness as things get worse!

I moved once, out of London and the South East, which is, in England, where I think the problem is.
                                People who earn "normal...
                                16-08-2022, 14:04 PM
                                by royw
                                And of course the rent has gone up because of greedy landlords and has absolutely nothing to do with supply and demand. Approx 10 million immigrants all of whom need a home but no one told the land manufacturers so we have no extra land to build millions of houses on (ditto water and food)....
                                16-08-2022, 13:57 PM
                              Working...
                              X