Who's responsible for changing flooring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's responsible for changing flooring?

Hello all,

I'm wondering Who's responsibility is it to do the flooring in a rental property while the Tennant is still in there? We did put new flooring & carpet in before they moved in & they been there 7 years now.

The tenant thinks the flooring has deteriorated to the point where it needs replacing. It has deteriorated, but isn't dangerous at all.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Otis

It's the Landlords responsibility as I understand it. If it's worn out from wear and tear I guess it's time to replace unless yo ucan prove there has been extreme wear and tear over and above normal usage - like the tenant was running on the carpets 20 hours a day, 7 days a week... type thing...

Comment

Definitely the landlord should replace the floor covering. The average life of a carpet in a rental property is considered to be 7 years so you are right on target Otis.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

To answer your question.
        You are not responsible(no one is)for changing the floor coverings unless your contract(highly doubtful)says you are.
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

What type of flooring is it - carpet might need replacing after 7 years, but actual "flooring" seems a bit odd.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
            To answer your question.
            You are not responsible(no one is)for changing the floor coverings unless your contract(highly doubtful)says you are.
            I think you may be mistaken. If the flooring deteriorates to a point where it is a trip hazard and the T goes flying and knocks himself out on the door frame (as happened in a student house I know of) then I think you'll find that the LL was definitely in the wrong especially if the disrepair had been reported and he chose to ignore it.

Even if it isnt as bad as a hazard, it is in the LL 's interests to replace deteriorating flooring - it is poor business practice to allow your rental properties to become scruffy through wear and tear.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I don't think that there can be any claim of disrepair in relation to something that the landlord has no obligation to repair in the first place.

If the carpets become a trip hazard then the tenant would have to remedy it.

Comment

I think that you'll find that the landlord is responsible for replacing the flooring in the kitchen and bathroom because they must be easy to keep clean, but not responsible for other floor coverings.

Comment

Originally posted by Kay Powell View Post
                  I think that you'll find that the landlord is responsible for replacing the flooring in the kitchen and bathroom because they must be easy to keep clean, but not responsible for other floor coverings.
                  I would be grateful if you could provide a link to the relevant legislation.
                  Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I think we need to know what the tenant means by "flooring" and what state it's in.

A bathroom needs a floor.
                    I don't think it's necessary for it to be any particular kind of floor, although it probably has to be fit for purpose and safe.

But to me, "flooring" is what's underneath carpet or tiles, not the carpet or tiles themselves.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Were carpets included in move-in Inventory?
                      I suspect T & OP means 'floor covering'.

Comment

Retailers selling 'flooring' tend to mean any floor covering other than carpets, I.e., lino, cushionfloor/Amtico style vinyl sheet or tiles, laminate planks or tiles, solid or engineered wood,, or ceramic tiles - anything which is laid on top of the original floor structure.

They do not usually mean the floor itself ( ie the base concrete or floorboards).

Either way, if something underfoot is disintegrating, it is surely in the LL 's interests to replace/,repair it whether or not it falls within his statutory responsibility.
                        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Certainly, when we have had long term tenants, we have replaced carpets and lino when required. There is no point upsetting good long term tenants over the cost of a carpet.

Comment

so if it's the T's responsibility, does that mean you have no problem with the T changing the floor covering? Ie replacing the carpet, lino etc?

Comment

Originally posted by carolines100 View Post
                              so if it's the T's responsibility, does that mean you have no problem with the T changing the floor covering? Ie replacing the carpet, lino etc?
                              Not sure if this reply was for me, but i would happily replace worn flooring, carpet lino etc for my tenants. I would not exoect them to do so unless they had damaged the item themselves

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X