Fitting a cat flap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting a cat flap

I have agreed to my tenants getting a cat, and putting a catflap in the wooden front door.

They are willing to arrange getting this done (one is a professional carpenter), and understand it will be at their expense.

Is it advisable to let them do this (I would insist on reviewing the cat flap they have selected and where it will be sited before the work is done, and inspecting it afterwards), or would I better off arranging it myself and asking them to reimburse me? I would prefer not to have the hassle of finding someone to do it myself, and they haven't given me any reason to think they will not take care of the place in the time they have been there so far.

Hmm. Personally I wouldn't be giving permission for a cat or a cat flap.

Do the job yourself & get paid up front for it. However, I suspect you will be so shocked by the state of the place when they leave, you will want to remove the cat flap so that future tenants aren't encouraged to get cats of their own. You might want to ask for the cost of replacing the door now, as you'll have no chance of deducting this at a later date.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

I doubt I will be shocked. Anyway, the place needs re-doing after they leave (new carpets, probably replastering, and the kitchen units could do with replacing). After that you are right I probably won't be wanting cats!

The question with the door is more of security rather than aesthetics. I personally have no idea how to fit a cat flap or how to go about finding someone to do it, but equally I don't want a shoddy job doing which leaves the door vulnerable (although it is a long way from the road and does not face onto the road).

Comment

Then just ask for the replacement door cost. They can do what they like with your existing door.
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

In my experience it is by far preferable that a cat has ready access to outdoors - much better for the cat's welfare and much better for the state of the property. If you do not have a cat flap you are going to end up either with a litter tray indoors (not recommended), or the cat doing its business in a corner if the room. Or have it roaming about outside all day long if the owners are at work. Not kind, especially in winter. It's not the cat's fault, of cours, but when cooped up inside they get bored and destructive.

Let them install the flap themselves if he is a carpenter. With wooden doors they can often be restored afterwards anyway - it's those metal doubled glazed efforts that are impossible to repair once cut into.

Might be worth telling them not to leave keys in lock on the inside - we were burgled by someone putting arm up through cat flap and removing keys to let themselves in. We don't do it any more....
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Believe it or not I have sold cat flaps all over the world... you can get them with a 4 way lock - in only out only locked fully or open fully - may help with security or preventing half the cats in the neighbourhood entering the house if you are away...
            Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Get cat flaps that are linked to the ID chip in their cat.
              Nothing like the smell of a tom cat who know's how cat flaps work.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If those are available they must have been developed after I left the industry! We had magnetic "keys" and electronic "keys" both worn on the cat's collar
                Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                  If those are available they must have been developed after I left the industry! We had magnetic "keys" and electronic "keys" both worn on the cat's collar
                  We spent a lot of money on one such as you describe, only to have the cat break in through the flap a few hours later looking very pleased with himself and minus his collar.

Microchip ones are definitely the way forward...!
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I have one cat who's frightened of the click as the door unlocks.
                    So my high tech chip aware cat flap is functioning as a standard cat flap (and my garage, as a consequence smells of tom cat from time to time).

I also have a cat flap in my office window.
                    Which I installed without thinking about mud...
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I, too, have seen examples of cat-flaps installed in windows. That might be something to consider, as it would be much cheaper to replace a glazing unit after the tenants move out, rather than a whole door.

Comment

I had a flap installed in a back door lower double glazed panel, about 20 years ago, it cost me £60 at 'mates rates'.
                        I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
                          I had a flap installed in a back door lower double glazed panel, about 20 years ago, it cost me £60 at 'mates rates'.
                          And does your expanding girth still allow you to pass through it jta?

Comment

We had a flap installed in a side panel of our french doors last year. They replaced the entire double glazed unit, so it cost £300.

Comment

Would that need to be specially made though? I'm wondering if they seal between the panes where the hole is. Otherwise don't you get condensation between the panes similarly to if there is a broken seal?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X