bad / Good Tenant Database

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad / Good Tenant Database

I was thinking , why has no one ever produced a online database of bad/good tenants? I guess the case for liable is one reason, but I saw this for bad companies http://www.blagger.com and wondered what would be the implications of something similar for the rental market?

I think you would be in danger of being sued for libel. Every word written could be subject to legal analysis. It would have to be anonymous posting and then, who would believe it. Lovely idea though.

Comment

They seem to have got round it in the terms and conditions of use, also, I suppose where the server is hosted?

Comment

Hmmm. If you basically stated fact and not "OMFGWTF what a MORON this guy was, he really is thick, and robbed me blind, bloody criminal", then you would be ok....very very interesting idea! Not entirely sure if it would take off though....would require an awfully high percentage of landlords to participate for it to be worthwhile really.
        Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

This would be an excellent idea...... but what about Data Protection Act? I know Lets direct had some sort of database going but it seems to have vanished from their site. I think my comments on another thread are applicable here too, if Landlords applied CCJs to bad tenants this would also help future Landlords... CCJs do follow you, they appear on experian etc... Credit I had at a previous address was logged on my credit file when I applied for my file a few years ago, I even picked up a few of the previous tenants credit history too.. all it took was a short letter to Experian and they cleared his rubbish off my file!

I say YES to a database but we must take into consideration the laws regarding Data Protection and libel/slander etc!
          GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Data protection would not be an issue here i do not believe. HAving thought more about it, I think an ideal way of doing it would be to submit:

Name of tenant
            Area of rental(NOT address)
            Landlords name and address(if wanted to leave address)

Then, a rating system. such as how many out of ten for payment of rent, for noise, for any problems etc(obviously these areas would need refining :P). This prevents the possibility of any libelous comments, as "ratings" are quite obviously based upon opinion.

I am in the process of building up a small portfolio of websites and I would be interested in developing this idea further for my next site. That is, if dazalock would have no objections...I do not want to steal other people's ideas!
            Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Data protection would not be an issue here i do not believe.

This has been brought up before and of course Data Protection applies!!!
              You are talking about personal information!

Look at the link below:

Data Commissioner
              Whilst I hope you find the contents of this posting interesting and informative, the contents are without prejudice or liability and are for general information purposes only

Comment

In what way are you talking about personal information? You are not giving addresses, credit details or the like. You would be giving an opinion of how easily various areas of a tenancy ran.

Comment

Actually having read your link, the DPA is more wide ranging than I anticipated.

- What difference is there between what is proposed here, and a journo stating an opinion on a celebrity or similar in a paper? Or on an online site?

- Could you not merely state that the ratings are opinions of how the TENANCY went?

Comment

Having read the FAQ about websites and the DPA, it is stated that if the risk if negligable, so that the data is not sensitive and the information would not result in the person being contactable, it would most likely not breach the DPA. I think this would be the case with this site.

Comment

Apparently it's already being done

FCC Paragon - a referencing agency for Agents and Landlords - have done this. To quote from their web site........ 'Our Tenants’ Database contains hundreds of thousands of Tenant records, collated from details provided by Letting Agent's, Landlords and our own claims records. Each new application is automatically searched against our database.Should we record a defaulting Tenant we will update our database accordingly.'

This isn't a plug for the company as we haven't used them ourselves.

Comment

I think that database is more for the agent then the private LL.

I was thinking more along the lines of a free open source database for everyone, where LL can post problems and there is opportunity for tenants to respond.

Mr Shed, yes a rating system would work I guess, provided there was a contact to the poster to get either further information or for the site admin to verify details is a complaint is recieved, and no, I have no problem if you want to move with this as a project, I think it would be good for the community.

PM me and maybe we can start to work on something?

Comment

Yes well I am definitely interested in working on this. Will need a week or two to clear what ive got on at the minute, but expect a PM from me!

Think ill email the data protection ppl and see what they say. My only concern would be that the limitations of what we can make available publicly may make the idea untenable, as if you cannot identify a prospective tenant due to lack of things to compare, it might cause difficulties.

Comment

I've been thinking on these lines for a while but I see another problem. Why restrict it to bad tenants, from reading this forum, there are bad landlords and bad agents so why not include them? Here's the problem though, I've just had to evict a tenant for the first time, I could give chapter and verse why but when I last spoke to her, she gave me a list of reasons for her actions which, although I could demonstrate they were false, she believed them. Likewise, I used to use a particular agent who was so bad, I took the business off her - and was thanked by my tenants for doing so - but my brother in law has had nothing but good service from her.
                            There are always two sides to an argument and a database such as this would need to allow right of reply.

Comment

I had thought about the issue of a "bad landlord/agent" 1 as well. I do not see a problem with the right of reply, except that presumably a landlord isnt going to advertise to a previous tenant that they have rated them as tenants online! But obviously if a tenant came across it they should have right of reply. In fact I think if a tenant asked, they should probably have the right to ask to have it removed also.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Help re flatsharing legal position!
                                CatherineCarr
                                Hello, I moved into a friend's flat when she moved out of London last year. It was agreed that I would pay market rate, would not need to pay a deposit, be able to bring various items into the flat, work from home, have a certain amount of storage etc.etc. I was also to share with my friend's then...
                                24-07-2017, 13:18 PM
                              • Reply to Help re flatsharing legal position!
                                Wright76
                                I think your friend Emma sounds like a bit of a plonker to be honest and I'd let her get on and deal with the problematic tenant herself.

Any landlord that allows a tenant to withhold rent and then support them in such a way sadly deserves what's coming.

Unfortunately for...
                                24-07-2017, 22:36 PM
                              • Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                                pdmalik
                                Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
                                23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
                              • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                                wfd_property
                                So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

Are you able to say which university city this is?...
                                24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
                              • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                                Manchesterlandlord
                                hi there

had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

t...
                                24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
                              • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                                wfd_property
                                Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
                                24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
                                KTC
                                "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
                                24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
                              • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                                Jcg76
                                I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                                Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                                24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                                nukecad
                                At the moment you they pay rent and it's your property.

With rent-to-buy you are proposing that they agree, in principle, to buy the property off you after a certain time for a price agreed now.
                                And at the end of that time they can still walk away without buying.

In the...
                                24-07-2017, 20:56 PM
                                jpkeates
                                Just rent to them while they buy it and sell it to them as though they weren't tenants.
                                Anything else is fraught.

When the sale completes, they'll be their own landlord - so the lease will be academic.
                                Give them the deposit back and you're done....
                                24-07-2017, 20:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X