Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPT57
    replied
    I would still change the locks, although it may not keep her from your door next time she is drunk and has a fight with her boyfriend. Nice people can get into desperate scrapes

Leave a comment:

• cluelessoncanvey
    replied
    jta,

Thanks for all your help, luckily she turned out to be ok and moved out today (locks not been changed, but hopefully she wont be back), we left amicably, I gave her a lift to the bus station and she seemed to be happy with whatever remainder of the deposit I gave her (minus a weeks rent and guess of £50 for the alcohol she'd drank). I think she was jsut a nice person going through a hard time.

Leave a comment:

• jta
    replied
    Originally posted by cluelessoncanvey View Post
    Interesting advice on the Police. Also interesting you tell me not to pack her belongings, I am guessing this is incase she then claims damages? I know when I was renting the Police then told me they coudl change my locks and throw my stuff out in the street and there's nothing I could do about it (this was about 9 years ago).
    The police have no business getting involved unless there is a possibility of a breach of the peace.
    However people today are much more litigious, a complaint that something has gone missing could lead to theft charges which you would have to defend.

Originally posted by cluelessoncanvey View Post
    I am hoping as I am off next week that she is actually willing to move out and not just saying it, as I was going to volunteer to help her pack and drive her to her place so that their is no excuses. At the moment we are getting on fine, she says I am the best bloke she has met in years and blurted out 'i love you' (she had been drinking!) yeah she came onto me the other night. Let's just hope it doesn't go the other way into hate!
    Be careful, 'A woman spurned..............' and all that.

Leave a comment:

• cluelessoncanvey
    replied
    jta,

Thankk you. I gave her til the end of the month originally so as far as I'm concerned that still stands. the first weke of next month I plan to chuck her out if she is still there. It's very confusing on the web with mixed messages, but remember was recommended to give 28 days notice, beginning of next month will be that. Hence choosing then.

Interesting advice on the Police. Also interesting you tell me not to pack her belongings, I am guessing this is incase she then claims damages? I know when I was renting the Police then told me they coudl change my locks and throw my stuff out in the street and there's nothing I could do about it (this was about 9 years ago).

I am hoping as I am off next week that she is actually willing to move out and not just saying it, as I was going to volunteer to help her pack and drive her to her place so that their is no excuses. At the moment we are getting on fine, she says I am the best bloke she has met in years and blurted out 'i love you' (she had been drinking!) yeah she came onto me the other night. Let's jsut hope it doesn't go the other way into hate!

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    She is a lodger, so buy a door chain and fit when she goes out, so cannot re-enter, unless you let her in.
    Police won't get involved unless someone fears/reports a Breach of the Peace.
    Prob best if you do this on Sat/Sun.

Leave a comment:

• jta
    replied
    If the period of notice you gave her has expired then change the locks as soon as she is out of the house, do not interfere with her belongings.

Do not allow her back into the house under any circumstances, not even to pack her stuff.

Ask her to bring a friend with her to do the packing and carting away. You watch to make sure none of your stuff goes in the black bags.

I'm afraid you have to be firm. We have had some reports from live in landlords that police have been called and ordered them to allow the lodger back into the house, this is beyond the remit of the police and you have every right to end her tenancy.

Leave a comment:

• cluelessoncanvey
    replied
    So update. Tuesday I sent her a text apologising for sending by text but was unable to get in contact with her. IN the text I informed her I wanted the rent money in full by the end of the week else I would like her to move out asap, by the end of the month at the latest.

I got home that night and she was there with her footup. She had an ambulance crew around looking at her swollen ankle, I immediately thought is it self inflicted and she's trying to sue me? So took notes/listened surreptitiously. It may jsut be a coincidence of timing, but seems to be some coincidence. When they left (she refused to go to the hospital for an x-ray, which is what they wanted) seems she had broken her ankle a year ago so it is weak, she said that she had to move out because her daughter has mental issues and tried to commit suicide, she apologised for drinking the house out of alcohol, and said she had a breakdown herself the weekend. We agreed that she would move out the next night (which was last night), I said about her ankle, she said don't worry I'm tough, I've got a high pain threshold I can handle it, she was getting her ex (where she obviously stays a lot, as she is away quite often) to pick her up around 7.30pm, I agreed to get home then with the remainder of her deposit minus a weeks rent and alochol costs.

I came home last night, she hadn't packed all her things, I had my house warming saturday and had loads of left over booze, half of it was gone and she was asleep on the sofa in front of the telly with the telly on. I proceeded to load all of the alcohol left into my car and drove it around a friends so at least today there's nothing for her to drink. She has already told me she's been sacked from her job and got no money.

I am a bit confused of whether she is a tenant or lodger, as you get conflicting advice on this one. She lives in my spare room but has full use of the house.

Popped to the cop shop as from what I see have three choices once her time is up if she is still there, a) get locks changed and throw her stuff out b) locks changed have her stuff in the hallway ready to give to her when she turns up or c) locks changed and allow her to collect her stuff under police supervision. The Police told me its a 'breach of the peace' and they'll come but they can't say when, so very hard to co-ordinate with a locksmith, although one website said this is the procedure you should follow.

Then there's the fact she is unemployed so knowing when or if she'll be out of the house to get the locks changed, could do them with her in, but that may not go down well! I suppose that is what is likely to happen if I go for option c. Let's jsut hope she goes in the next couple of days so there's no call for all this. But my colleagues are worried she is trying it on and seeing how far she can push me.

A 'friend of a friend' tells me her ex abused her and that's why she moved out. However as I mentioned earlier she has regularly been away for a night or so at a time (perhaps she jsut came home if he was getting dodgy). But its only gossip but wonder whether I should give her the info of a refuge if I can get it, don't know if that woudl go down badly or not though.

Leave a comment:

• cluelessoncanvey
    replied
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    It doesn't matter, you serve notices, you can't make someone receive, read or act on them.

Leave a comment:

• cluelessoncanvey
    replied
    Er I can put it under her door but if she's not coming home she is not receiving it. Or does this fact not matter?

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Don't assume anything you said at the "interview" will cover you.
    You need to serve notice - put something in writing under her door?

Leave a comment:

• cluelessoncanvey
    replied
    Thanks so it sounds like you are better off charging rent weekly then you can ask them to leave with two weeks as opposed to a month if they haven't paid?

Anyway she hasn't been back to the flat since thursday when the rent was due, and her phone is switched off - so I have no way to get in touch with her to issue notice, will try sending a text and see if it gets through. She was told at the interview a month ago jsut before she moved in that if you don't pay you have to leave within the month. Does that cover me, I will assume it does. Her stuff is still all here so she obviously is planning on coming back at some stage, perhaps when she has the money? Or perhaps she is trying out living with her fella and is not sure whether she wants to stay yet or not?

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Apparently - it threw me a bit.

Leave a comment:

• jjlandlord
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    If it's an excluded tenancy, that's correct.
    If it's an excluded licence it just has to be "reasonable".
    Is there such a difference?

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    If it's an excluded tenancy, that's correct.
    If it's an excluded licence it just has to be "reasonable".

Maybe a month is simply more prudent in this case.
    Forget my two week suggestion.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
    by Renterthedragon
    Thanks all for the advice and suggestions.

A few people said it would be helpful to get an idea of the prices involved, and I can provide these:

- First annual tenancy: £1500 pcm
    - Second annual tenancy: £1300 pcm
    - For the third year, the agent says the landlord...
    19-05-2022, 09:22 AM
  • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
    by Renterthedragon
    I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
    18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
  • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
    by DoricPixie
    I'm guessing your landlord has used ground 8 for the Section 8 so your goal is to get the arrears under 2 months (assuming your rent is due monthly) by counter-claiming. Ben Reeves over at the Landlord Law Blog seems to think it is possible to counter-claim for damages to bring the arrears below the...
    19-05-2022, 09:19 AM
  • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
    by Forgetmeknot
    I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
    so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
    18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
  • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
    by Lawcruncher
    In a case where the deposit protection rules do not apply how a deposit is dealt with depends on the terms on which it is held. What does the tenancy agreement or other relevant document say?
    19-05-2022, 09:14 AM
  • Is my estate agent misleading me?
    by abimsalabim
    I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
    18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
  • Reply to Single parent renting
    by Another Fine Mess
    I will never again rent to a family as my property is unsuitable.
    My first two tenants did not have any issue with damp.
    Then I rented it to a family where at the start of the tenancy the lady had a baby.
    Then a about 2 months later they started complaining to the Letting Agent about...
    19-05-2022, 09:14 AM
  • Single parent renting
    by Dct
    A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
    18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
    by jpkeates
    You might find a sympathetic judge.

But you have to consider what you're trying to argue.
    If you'd been in a car crash and were in hospital and unable to work, that wouldn't be a defence to not paying rent owed.
    You're trying to argue that it was the landlord driving the car...
    19-05-2022, 09:01 AM
    by Forgetmeknot
    Thankyou for your replies.

Taking on board your comments but interested in how you think it is two separate things….?
    One action was the direct cause of another land if I’m in court disputing amount of money owed isn’t that the time to be arguing my case? Not to be receiving...
    19-05-2022, 08:32 AM
Working...
X