Can I use deposit for shortfall in rent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
    On reflection if she agrees to the rent being taken it does not matter what the agreement says.
    On further reflection I forgot that this appears to be a joint tenancy. If it is then I repeat: What does the tenancy agreement say the deposit is for?

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    Insufficient OP detail, please complete & paste http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ll-new-posters, indicate whether AST specified listed occupants were joint Ts, whether male partner served LL-accepted NTQ and whether female partner agreed to subs new, sole AST

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Don't agree.

The deposit is finite and the tenancy (relatively) unlimited.
    Your tenant is trying to buy time, with little regard to actual finances.

You want £250 a month.
    If the tenant can't supply that without spending the deposit, they can't afford to live there.
    Deal with that now rather than later.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Originally posted by dnoble View Post
    Just a reminder

my question was;" is there any legal considerations if I agree to use some of her deposit to make up the rental shortfall"

She has had a full benefit award

However, I do not want to allow good intention to lead to accusations I am misappropriating her deposit

anyone?
    If the deposit is in her sole name & she is sole tenant there may be one answer.

But if joint tenants & not sole name, different answer. If joint tenants, him leaving doesn't change that joint tenancy.

If you could kindly see you way to answering my question it might help you, please?

It may not be "her" deposit.

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
    What does the tenancy agreement say the deposit is for?
    On reflection if she agrees to the rent being taken it does not matter what the agreement says.

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    Originally posted by sunnyp View Post
    I would be reluctant to do this mid tenancy but rather deduct it end of tenancy after getting it in writing. You can certainly get it in writing now and apply it at the end of tenancy. At that rate the deposit will quickly vanish.
    Advice to the above effect is often given. Am I missing something because I fail to see the logic of it?

Leave a comment:

• sunnyp
    replied
    I would be reluctant to do this mid tenancy but rather deduct it end of tenancy after getting it in writing. You can certainly get it in writing now and apply it at the end of tenancy. At that rate the deposit will quickly vanish, have you got a plan as to what to do now to mitigate your potential loss?

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    What does the tenancy agreement say the deposit is for?

Leave a comment:

• dnoble
    replied
    Just a reminder

my question was;" is there any legal considerations if I agree to use some of her deposit to make up the rental shortfall"

She has had a full benefit award

However, I do not want to allow good intention to lead to accusations I am misappropriating her deposit

anyone?

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Who's name (?names?) is the deposit in?

Were they joint tenants? If so, even though he has left, he still remains liable for (all) the rent.

Has he served any notice to quit?

Shortfall of £250/month is going to end in tears.... Has she applied for DHP?? (e.g. see....
    http://www.slough.gov.uk/benefits-an...-payments.aspx

Are there any other benefits she may be entitled to or should be increased? CTC, WTC.... see
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Leave a comment:

• dnoble
    started a topic Can I use deposit for shortfall in rent?

Can I use deposit for shortfall in rent?

tenants partner has left her

Benefits have decided her claim

It means a shortfall in monthly rent of £250 each month

I have tried to be flexible and allowed her some 3 months on periodc terms-if she can provide the shortfall

She has suggested I deduct it from deposit
    I use My Deposit insurance backed scheme

Am I legally covered in agreeing to this-perhaps get it in writing?

many thanks
    David Noble

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X