Energy supply being hijacked

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Energy supply being hijacked

    I just rejected an applicant when I found out he had a £7K CCJ and another salacious reason I won't go into.

    This afternoon British Gas contacted me as owner of the property in question to ask if I knew that from 7th June the supplier was changing to Spark Energy.

    Over my dead body was my response but it would seem that the applicant has started the change - he doesn't even have a tenancy agreement and B Gas say they are powerless to prevent the change.

    What on earth is going on? Just tried to contact Spark but their phones won't connect then started 'live chat' with Andrea who terminated the chat when I wanted an explanation.

    I had no idea your supply could just be hijacked by any Tom, Dick or Ibrahim in this case.

    Freedom at the point of zero............

    Are you letting through an agent, as our last two rental properties have been supplied by spark energy as an agreement with the agency.
    We got a booklet explaining this on signing up to the property.
    Seems most large agents have an agreement with them.


      Suffice to say after a letting agent moved my wife's utilities to Spark En*rgy (she was renting out her late mum's home) it all went 'orribly rong, the director of customer service sent her a huge bunch of flowers & I have no plans ever to do business with this esteemed & highly respected company: Aye, right.

      Enquire what back-handers have been paid from whom to whom & why.
      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


        Thanks both for those responses - very informative. I use an agent for tenant find only and did not agree to this but seems they have just gone with it.
        Heads will roll tomorrow!

        Freedom at the point of zero............


          Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
          Enquire what back-handers have been paid from whom to whom & why.
          See "We’ll pay an admin fee for each property to help cover the cost of dealing with utilities" (bear in mind that this website is visible to tenants as well as agents/landlords; hence the circumlocutory verbiage...)


            Surely only the owner or the tenant should legally be able to change the supplier. Who is living there at the moment?


            Latest Activity


            • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
              by Renterthedragon
              I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

              I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

              Approaching the end...
              18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
            • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
              by ash72
              I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

              Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
              18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
            • notifying utility companies of tenant change
              by flyingfreehold
              Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
              18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
            • Reply to Single parent renting
              by Hooper
              I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
              18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
            • Single parent renting
              by Dct
              A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
              18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
            • Reply to Single parent renting
              by Hudson01
              This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
              18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
            • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
              by Hudson01
              As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
              18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
            • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
              by Forgetmeknot
              I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
              so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
              18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
            • Reply to Let a house to local council
              by ram
              If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

              It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
              18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
            • Let a house to local council
              by r3drum

              Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

              Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
              20-11-2019, 11:58 AM