Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord refusing to give back deposit

Hello,

I'm in a very anoying situation and I could use some help to know about my rights and possible solution.

So I was renting a studio which near the end of the tenancy appeared to be an illegal sublet of which I didn't know.
    The real landlord found out about it and gave my 'landlord' notice to move out so same for me, I had to move out.

Now I have never been in contact with the person who was my 'landlord' I was in contact with a guy who claimed to be working for an estate agent.
    He told me I would receive my deposit back after 2-4 weeks ( I already knew the chances were small...), so these weeks went by and I haven't receved anything.

When I call the guy working as 'estate agent' he told me the landlord won't pay my back my deposit because he had to move out thanks to me...
    I asked him to give me the details of the 'landlord' so I can talk to him myself but I didn't get any details so far and doubt that I will.

Any advice on this would be really appreciated!

Was the landlord actually living in the property, or did you ever meet them?
    In these type of scams, usually there is no landlord, it's the "guy" or one of his mates.

I suspect you are the victim of the "guy", but if you have an address for them you have a number of options.
    However, it is most likely they will vanish which leaves you simply out of pocket.

If you gave the deposit to the "guy" to pass on to the landlord, you can sue them to return it.
    Or you can write to them and ask for the landlord's details, and point out that it's an offence not to give you them within 21 days.

Or you can forget it and move on with life.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      Or you can write to them and ask for the landlord's details, and point out that it's an offence not to give you them within 21 days.
      Do you realise the OP is no longer in the property?
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

No, my mistake.
        That option isn't viable any longer.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah so currently I don't live in the property anymore, I never met the 'landlord' only the guy who said he worked for an estate agent.. I paid my deposit to him, cash.
          I only got his first name and phone number, and the 'landlord' his full name. (I did record every single phone call I and the 'estate agent' made)

I could forget it and move on but London is expensive and losing 800+ pounds is not fun... :s

I will call the estate agent again and demand his full details as well as the landlord his details.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X