Tenancy Deposit Scheme Compliance

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tenancy Deposit Scheme Compliance

    Hi all I'm new to this forum and although I have read a number of similar threads all seem to have a slightly difference take on how they complied with Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

    Around 6 months ago I rented my property to a Property Solicitor, funny enough the tenant commented on the AST and said they'd provide a better one on termination.

    All went well apart from the tenant falling out with the neighbour and requesting that they hand in their notice, which was fine by me. We went through the standard check out process and apart from retaining some of their deposit for final rent due and a small disagreement on a charge of 35 pounds to mow the lawn we agreed on the deposit returned.

    One week later I have received a 'without predudice save as to costs' letter re non compliance to TDS. Clearly having read all there is on the Housing Act 2004 Sec 213 and 214 and Housing Tenancy Deposits 2007 I realise that I have been non compliant.

    I did follow the process and bank the deposit with the DPS and obviously both of us received the certificate stating both parties details, deposit and rental amounts plus ref numbers within 7 days of the deposit being submitted to the DPS. However I did fail to follow up with the Prescribed Information Document regarding the DPS scheme and the terms and conditions - naivety on my part.

    Tenant the property solicitor has suggested my failing will not be looked on lightly by a judge and I could pay between 1x to 3x the deposit - all true.

    Tenant has requested an out of court settlement of 2x Deposit (3500 pounds)

    My thoughts are that I have been setup, it almost feels like entrapment and total dishonesty on the property solicitors side.

    Thoughts and suggestions please?

    Your mistake. Your loss.
    Since deposit has been returned (less reasonable deductions), I would hope Judge would only award 1x Penalty for simple PI mistake which did not financially disadvantage T, so I may be inclined to counter-offer £1750 'in full & final settlement'. See what response you get. Judges can be fickle.



      The power to not be on the receiving-end of a claim like this lies entirely with you. You can't be 'setup' if you did what you were supposed to do - no-one stopped you from doing what you were supposed to do.

      Likewise, I think I would offer the 1x deposit... or round it up to £2,000... because a) at least that shows a willingness to resolve the issue before arriving at Court and b) that is the minimum the Court could award so sweetening it a little might be smart. I'd prefer to settle rather than go to Court, any day. I know people have said it's quite hard to bring a case but... well, look who you're dealing with.


        You have little option here but to try to settle. Minimum Court will award is 1 time the rent, but who knows, it could be 3. Make a counter offer and remember to serve your PI next time!


          Thanks Mariner and Hippo, sound advice.


          Latest Activity


          • Reply to Dogs
            by royw
            What does your AST say about it?
            05-12-2021, 23:20 PM
          • Dogs
            by Bridge2020
            My tenant has asked if he can get a dog. Where do I stand on this ?...
            05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
          • Advice on s.8 & s.21
            by Hetty911
            Hi all,

            Long time lurker, first time poster. Would be grateful for advice on the below.

            Have a tenant on a AST which expired in July and has rolled onto a periodic tenancy. Over past 6 months rent has been delayed, partial and on two occasions unpaid. 2 months rent is missing...
            05-12-2021, 22:01 PM
          • Reply to Accelerated possession order
            by Hudson01
            Unless the tenant has dependent children, some, or all with a disability, and some other form of vulnerability for her/him self..... they will be in a crummy emergency accommodation flea pit or a dumpy flat in a place resembling the film set of '' Escape from New York ''. They are deluded.
            05-12-2021, 20:36 PM
          • Accelerated possession order
            by Pariah81
            A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

            I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
            05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
          • Reply to Accelerated possession order
            by theartfullodger
            Thatcher's 1988 housing act makes it clear tenant does not have to leave at end of fixed term

            Why help tenant take a council property from a more deserving case? I'd decline to serve s21. S8 if possible... (was she ever late with rent?)
            05-12-2021, 19:17 PM
          • Reply to Accelerated possession order
            by Pariah81
            Ok so it looks like the section 21 notice is invalid as a result of this error. The deposit scheme was not in place at the time of the notice.

            Apparently the deposit has to be returned in full....
            05-12-2021, 18:35 PM
          • Reply to Dogs
            by ash72
            The good thing is they have asked you prior to getting one, so the decision is yours. If you do decide then I would suggest you increase rent to compensate for your loss in the future.
            05-12-2021, 17:21 PM
          • Reply to Dogs
            by jpkeates
            I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
            You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.
            05-12-2021, 16:21 PM
          • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
            by jpkeates
            Assuming it's an AST (STA's are Scottish)...
            You don't have to renew the tenancy, just let it become periodic.
            And, you're right, don't renew it.

            To repossess, you'll either have to attend court or pay a solicitor to do so on your behalf.

            If the tenant doesn't owe...
            05-12-2021, 16:13 PM