Tenancy Deposit Scheme Compliance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy Deposit Scheme Compliance

Hi all I'm new to this forum and although I have read a number of similar threads all seem to have a slightly difference take on how they complied with Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

Around 6 months ago I rented my property to a Property Solicitor, funny enough the tenant commented on the AST and said they'd provide a better one on termination.

All went well apart from the tenant falling out with the neighbour and requesting that they hand in their notice, which was fine by me. We went through the standard check out process and apart from retaining some of their deposit for final rent due and a small disagreement on a charge of 35 pounds to mow the lawn we agreed on the deposit returned.

One week later I have received a 'without predudice save as to costs' letter re non compliance to TDS. Clearly having read all there is on the Housing Act 2004 Sec 213 and 214 and Housing Tenancy Deposits 2007 I realise that I have been non compliant.

I did follow the process and bank the deposit with the DPS and obviously both of us received the certificate stating both parties details, deposit and rental amounts plus ref numbers within 7 days of the deposit being submitted to the DPS. However I did fail to follow up with the Prescribed Information Document regarding the DPS scheme and the terms and conditions - naivety on my part.

Tenant the property solicitor has suggested my failing will not be looked on lightly by a judge and I could pay between 1x to 3x the deposit - all true.

Tenant has requested an out of court settlement of 2x Deposit (3500 pounds)

My thoughts are that I have been setup, it almost feels like entrapment and total dishonesty on the property solicitors side.

Thoughts and suggestions please?

Your mistake. Your loss.
    Since deposit has been returned (less reasonable deductions), I would hope Judge would only award 1x Penalty for simple PI mistake which did not financially disadvantage T, so I may be inclined to counter-offer £1750 'in full & final settlement'. See what response you get. Judges can be fickle.

Comment

Entrapment?

The power to not be on the receiving-end of a claim like this lies entirely with you. You can't be 'setup' if you did what you were supposed to do - no-one stopped you from doing what you were supposed to do.

Likewise, I think I would offer the 1x deposit... or round it up to £2,000... because a) at least that shows a willingness to resolve the issue before arriving at Court and b) that is the minimum the Court could award so sweetening it a little might be smart. I'd prefer to settle rather than go to Court, any day. I know people have said it's quite hard to bring a case but... well, look who you're dealing with.

Comment

You have little option here but to try to settle. Minimum Court will award is 1 time the rent, but who knows, it could be 3. Make a counter offer and remember to serve your PI next time!

Comment

Thanks Mariner and Hippo, sound advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to who's repsponsibility
            by jpucng62
            Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.
            02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
          • who's repsponsibility
            by madmaxwell
            Received message from tenant saying the storm last week had caused the bush/tree at the front of the property to blow over and could I sort asap. I replied I didn't know there was a bush/tree at the front of the property and enclosed the inventory photograph of the front showing this. The tenant responded...
            02-12-2021, 08:54 AM
          • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
            by doobrey
            Agree with all the above.

General advice is not to let to family or friends.

If doing it, a long AST doesn't seem helpful to me. If both parties (as family members) trust each other implicitly then there should be no need for the contract. If they don't, then they should not...
            02-12-2021, 09:04 AM
          • Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
            by meehr
            For a variety of reasons a family member is considering renting out their leasehold flat to a cousin for a long period of time - to provide security they want to grant a very long AST, like 8 years (till kids have left home basically). They both want to do this for security and avoidance of argument...
            01-12-2021, 23:27 PM
          • Reply to who's repsponsibility
            by jpkeates
            No one's at fault.
            That just complicates things and makes it harder to agree a resolution.
            There was a storm and it made things fall over.

The question is, who's responsibility is fixing the problem? And it's the tenants'.
            02-12-2021, 09:03 AM
          • Reply to 5 Yr Residential tenancy agreement
            by jpkeates
            Notice from a landlord doesn't end the tenancy, so a long tenancy agreement with a break clause is loaded in favour of the tenant.

The clause that Hooper has quoted would allow a tenant to end the agreement at any point after the first six months by giving two months notice ending at the...
            02-12-2021, 08:58 AM
          • 5 Yr Residential tenancy agreement
            by Gurvinder
            Hi All

We have a property which is managed by a letting agent
            He has found new Tennent's that want to lease it for 5 yrs. There is a large hospital near the property and the tenants are NHS workers.

My questions are as below.

1) I read somewhere a long...
            30-11-2021, 21:42 PM
          • Reply to 5 Yr Residential tenancy agreement
            by Hooper
            Either the landlord or the tenant shall be entitled to terminate the tenancy by giving at least two
            months notice in writing to that effect. Notice must not expire within the first 6/12 months of the Term and must expire on the last day of a rental period....
            02-12-2021, 08:21 AM
          • Reply to Section 21 - can tenant leave before two months notice is up
            by jpkeates
            ROFL.

If they move out, the rent will stop automatically (or be reclaimed by the DWP if paid).

The tenant can stop the rent being paid to you anytime.

You’ve given them notice telling them to leave in 2 months and they’re trying to do what you said to do. You...
            02-12-2021, 08:16 AM
          • Section 21 - can tenant leave before two months notice is up
            by Seftonsefton
            Hi there

I recently gave notice via form 6a to my tenants with the two months notice being up on 15 January 2022.

I gave notice because I want to sell the flat in the middle of next year, but fully expected a protracted eviction because the tenants are unemployed and rely on...
            01-12-2021, 15:58 PM
          Working...
          X