Wrong amount stated section 8 notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong amount stated section 8 notice

Hi. I'm hoping someone will be able to help please.

Section 8 notice was served and I was about to start court proceedings online but just found that the rent statement attached to the section 8 notice was wrong. It was missing some months so made the arrears lower than it should be.

E.g. arrears should be £6k but incorrectly calculated as £4k. The £4k number was written in the section 8 notice. This means payment details section of PCOL won't tie to s8 notice. Do I have to reissue the notice or it can be explained in court? Send correct statement to tenant? s8 will still have wrong amount.

The arrears is more than 2 months, the correct amount is a lot more than stated on the s8 notice and tenant has never ever paid on time in 4 years.

Thanks.

Can anyone help please? Thanks

Comment

As long as the £4k is higher than the debt required to validate the s8 notice (i.e. more than 2months) then the notice would be valid. Giving a NoSP is about advising your tenant that legal action is due to commence and outlining the reasons for it. The actual amount of debt would be decided in chambers as it have invariably changed since issue.
      Ultimately, the judge would decide on validity due to numeric error, however as long as the erroneous value is still high enough, I wouldn't be overly concerned...
      ....however we are talking about District Judges and their habit of unpredictability. I would feel confident with the ones I see regularly. Others may disagree.
      I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

Comment

Thanks for the response, I will do it again just in case. So cross with myself ... aargh!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Selling to tenants
          by jpucng62
          Speak to your agent & ask them to put in writing what fees would be charged in the event of this happening....
          26-01-2022, 16:43 PM
        • Selling to tenants
          by r3drover
          Hi, hoping you good people may be able to give me some advice 🙂

i have a rental property that I am now looking to sell. I am interested in selling to my tenants and have been looking at my contract with my letting agents to see if there are any consequences of this.

There’s...
          26-01-2022, 16:27 PM
        • Reply to Selling to tenants
          by Hudson01
          The original arrangement with the tenants, was it ia fully managed or tenant find only arrangement ? I have done this a few times on a tenant find basis and let all my AST's go periodic (so the tenants stay), i have paid zero to every agent, and they have never been knocking asking for any money.
          26-01-2022, 16:36 PM
        • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
          by Flashback1966
          With regards to keep or sell. Those 4 properties are not just assets, but you need to see them as say children, which need looking after. You can't switch off because you are busy. It is 24/7 responsibility, as you are responsible for the property and the health and safety of the people living. If...
          26-01-2022, 14:23 PM
        • Inherited a few rentals
          by Landlord7289
          Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
          25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
          by Flashback1966
          Almost anything beats working for a living.

Running a portfolio is just as demanding and stressful. If someone worked in an office, it is a 9 to 5 job. Their taxes are paid by their employer.

Running a portfolio of properties, can be demanding. Even with agents in place....
          26-01-2022, 13:46 PM
          by jpkeates
          Almost anything beats working for a living.

Becoming a landlord because you've inherited some property makes about as much sense as inheriting several cars and setting up a taxi business.
          26-01-2022, 13:19 PM
          by theartfullodger
          Well, unless one was a masocist. Been retired 14 years now, those memories of work fading also....
          26-01-2022, 12:53 PM
        • Reply to Renting process
          by theartfullodger
          Very true, becoming more common I hear....
          26-01-2022, 12:51 PM
        • Renting process
          by Smudge
          Hi all. So im going through the process of renting a house. Arranged a viewing with the landlord, said i would like to rent and go to next step. LL said letting agent would be in touch i was told to fill in a APPLICATION which was just very basic info. Personal details landlord ref and work info etc....
          25-01-2022, 18:16 PM
        Working...
        X