Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant vs Permitted Occupier deposit dispute

Hi,

Last year I wanted to rent a 2 bedroom flat in London with another person but eventually they could not be added to the AST as Tenant. To avoid delays we agreed to have them added as a Permitted Occupier and sent me half the deposit and half the rent monthly.

Halfway through the year-long contract they decided to leave, to which I agreed as long as they told me when they were moving out and found someone to replace them, to which they agreed. There was no written agreement whatsoever other than a bunch of messages. They eventually left without finding a replacement although they said they would.

Could not force them to stay or pay rent (and the agency did not care as they were just a permitted occupier) so I had to pay by myself for a few weeks until I found someone to move in. The previous occupier is now also asking for the deposit back although it's not with me but with the agency and they will only return it to me in a few months' time.

Do they have any legal claim to the deposit now or at the end of the contract when the agency gives it back to me? When they left they knew they were dumping many times the amount of that deposit on my head as rent so can I not use it to limit my losses?

To put it another way, they took advantage of not being on the contract and simply left although they signed and we agreed on a 1 year AST, so can I not take advantage of being on the contract and the sole receiver of the deposit and protect myself from the damage they caused? As far as I know a landlord can use deposit money to cover unpaid rent so can I not do the same?

Can they sue me for not returning it or claim the amount was sent by mistake and want it back (although the monthly payments that followed prove that is not the case)?

Quite a long message and loads of questions here, but hope it makes sense. Please let me know if anything is unclear!
    Thanks for reading!

A deposit remains the property of the person who "gave" it to you, until the situations it is a deposit against occur, or they can no longer occur and then it's returned by the person it was "given" to.
    In this case, the person was paying you rent and they were your tenant or lodger (it doesn't matter what their status was on your tenancy agreement with your landlord).

They may or may not have had an AST all of their own, depending on the arrangements.
    Either way, you were their landlord and should return their deposit to them now there is no possibility of deductions being made.

Their deposit and your deposit are completely separate things.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for your answer.

It sounds as if I had one agreement with the agent and another with the occupier. Is that how this is legally perceived? That would also mean he was a permitted occupier on one AST and at the same time a lodger on another agreement, can that happen?

If that's the case then what are the terms of my agreement with the occupier since there is nothing in writing? Are there any default terms used when there is nothing written?

For example he gave me only 3 weeks' notice before moving out, I can claim It should have been a full month and keep one month's rent.
      Also the agency might charge for damage he did and I can't know that yet. If I was their landlord then I am entitled to make charges, should I just try and estimate the charges the agency might make?

It's all very much left to guessing, that's why I was asking about the obligations from a legal perspective - you mention "should" return their deposit, is that meant as a "you're legally obligated to"?

Comment

I certainly enjoy the search for clarity on what we must do as part of our legal obligations as much as the next man.

However, I always prefer to contemplate what I should be doing from a moral standpoint. And, yes, what others should be doing from a moral standpoint.

And I now always ask myself... "is anyone going to give a hoot about this 5 years from now?" ...finding that the answer is nearly always "no".

Comment

Originally posted by HiThere View Post
          It sounds as if I had one agreement with the agent and another with the occupier. Is that how this is legally perceived? That would also mean he was a permitted occupier on one AST and at the same time a lodger on another agreement, can that happen?
          Yes and I think its what did happen.

If that's the case then what are the terms of my agreement with the occupier since there is nothing in writing? Are there any default terms used when there is nothing written?
          There are, it's simply a verbal contract.
          As I think it's more practical to think of them as a lodger (because the alternative is much less simple) the implied terms are fairly simple, and, are now mostly irrelevant, as the arrangement has ended.

For example he gave me only 3 weeks' notice before moving out, I can claim It should have been a full month and keep one month's rent.
          Unless you agreed that, it isn't an implied term of a lodger agreement (as far as I know), notice has to be reasonable.

Also the agency might charge for damage he did and I can't know that yet. If I was their landlord then I am entitled to make charges, should I just try and estimate the charges the agency might make?
          The landlord may try and charge you for damage as you're liable for the property.
          Unless your lodger did some obvious damage, your claim is probably a bit of a non-starter as you would have to be able to prove it was them, and without a check in and out report (like the one the agents will have done) you can't really do much.

It's all very much left to guessing, that's why I was asking about the obligations from a legal perspective - you mention "should" return their deposit, is that meant as a "you're legally obligated to"?
          You're holding someone else's money and have no entitlement to it, so you should (i.e. must) return it.
          If he sued you in a court they'd make you return it.

And now you know it's not your money, I'd say keeping it was theft (by conversion).
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi Hippo,

Yes that is a good point, hopefully I won't care about this 5 years from now.

Just for the record, I'm not trying to 'steal' their deposit or anything, and I'm not trying to make a profit out of this (it would be impossible even if I kept the whole deposit amount as there are also bills they haven't paid, etc.).

The fact that they did not honour their promise and the AST they signed has affected me and I am merely trying to recover that loss. I would have been perfectly ok with them leaving if it did not have any adverse affect on my financials.

The issue they had prevented them from being a 'Tenant' as part of any UK contract and they knew no one else in London at the time. I feel they took advantage of me trusting them and agreeing on not having them as Tenant and got out of the agreement they signed, lying about finding a replacement and knowing they would cause me significant financial damage.

As a consequence I do feel I have the moral high ground here. What concerns me is whether the law is on my side as well. Any other opinions in that regard?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant referencing
              Sam87
              Afternoon,

I'm just wondering if letting agents can with hold tenant references if I try and obtain a reference about a potential tenant myself aswell as getting a reference company to so the Same? I currently pay someone to do the referencing however for the 'previous landlord/agent' reference...
              16-07-2019, 12:34 PM
            • Reply to Tenant referencing
              jpkeates
              No professional agent should ever give someone a character reference or tell someone that a tenant has made unreasonable demands.
              16-07-2019, 14:25 PM
            • Part of deposit not protected
              coppernob
              Hi all,

Last December we entered into an AST (initial 6 month fixed term) and paid a deposit of £900, which included a £200 pet deposit for our dog. This full £900 was put into the a deposit protection scheme.

Towards the end of January we wished to get another dog, and...
              16-07-2019, 10:26 AM
            • Reply to Part of deposit not protected
              coppernob
              Is such a claim simple enough to submit ourselves, or would we need to engage a solicitor?

Whilst I'd much rather it didn't come to it and our deposit was just returned to us, I suppose I'd need to be prepared to actually go through with it for the threat to be effective....
              16-07-2019, 14:13 PM
            • Council tax debacle.
              buttons
              I had a tenant do a runner on the 10th May, I only learned of this on 11th June when no housing benefit was paid to me as it was direct payment.
              I received the keys from the tenants daughter on the 15th June, she signed a letter stating tenancy was surrendered and keys returned.
              I wrote...
              16-07-2019, 12:05 PM
            • Reply to Council tax debacle.
              buttons
              For future, if I enter the line into the contract that at the end of the 6 month period the tenancy becomes a contractural periodic tenancy, would this leave the tenant with the bill rather than myself ?
              16-07-2019, 14:09 PM
            • Reply to Council tax debacle.
              KTC
              Assuming the tenant didn't pay the whole 6 months fixed term tenancy rent in advance making the SPT a 6-monthly periodic (again, there's a reason I asked), then the council is correct in its billing.

Whether you can separately sue your former tenant for the cost of the council tax depend...
              16-07-2019, 13:56 PM
            • Tenant withdrawing notice
              bagus
              I accepted tenants' notice to quit their SPT mid period. Their leaving date is really badly timed for me (2 weeks into summer hols, preventing me taking the kids abroad).

The notice wasn't valid, since it didn't end on the first or last day of the monthly SPT, but I did accept it. Now,...
              16-07-2019, 08:25 AM
            • Reply to Tenant withdrawing notice
              jpkeates
              They're not walking all over you.
              They're trying not to be homeless for three days or pay for two lots of rent.

They've paid their rent and been decent customers of yours.
              So why not do them a small favour?
              16-07-2019, 13:45 PM
            • Reply to Part of deposit not protected
              jpkeates
              It would apply to the £250 as far as I can figure it out.

I would suggest that the landlord might be incentivised to make the call if you suggest that that might make you feel more inclined not to bother to pursue the penalty issue.
              16-07-2019, 13:43 PM
            Working...
            X