Using form N5B for accelerated possession.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using form N5B for accelerated possession.

i am filling in a 'n5b' form for accelerated possesion of my flat and i have realised i have lost the original tenancy agreement - unforgiveable i know!

the form clearly states that it must be attached but what do you do if you dont have it? i seem to remember reading somewhere that without the original agreement then they assume a periodic tenancy is in place - is this correct?

I don't think you have any chance without an agreement. You'll need to request a hearing.

Comment

I am afraid that you will have to scrap that N5b form and complete an N5 instead. Without your AST agreement a court hearing will have to be held for the judge to satisfy himself that an AST agreement existed.

P.P.
      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

thanks..but that was not what i wanted to hear!!

i need to speak to my tenant. i suspect she is wanting me to to go through the eviction procedure so she will get a council house, if this is the case then she should let me take a copy of her copy of the tenancy agreement.

Comment

I hope that your section 21 notice form has been corrctly served giving the necessary two months notice (It is possible to fiddle this with a tenant in the situation you describe). With the copy of your tenant's AST you can use the accelerated proceedure, so a few weeks after filing your N5b form you should get your possession order. Then, when it goes final (two weeks more) toy can shell out a bit more to get the required bailiff's letter.

P.P.
          Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

many thanks all.

ive just been to see my tenant regarding repairs to the flat and she handed over her copy of the tenancy agreement for me to copy without question.

she has thrown a 'positive' spanner in my planned eviction procedure by saying she is expecting to be given a council house very soon and has even told me which house it is so i can only assume she is telling the truth. the section 21 expires end of feb so i think i must keep going with the possesion order if i havent heard anything.

Comment

Don't forget that there is no necessity to file your N5/N5b with the court as soon as the S21 notice expires. If you wish, you can give your tenant more time if you want before having to shell out £150 in court fees.

P.P.

Comment

Why not ask her if she can get it in writing from the council that she will be rehoused by xx date. You could then write to the council to ask for confirmation and pointing out that you wish to sell the flat and will arrange completion for the day after they rehouse your tenant - that will concentrate their minds cos they will be mindful that they (the council) could be liable for your subsequent losses if they do not house when they say they will!! Might save you £150 plus bailiffs fee and a lot of stress!

Comment

Form N5B for accelerated possession.

Got a few questions which hopefully some more experienced heads will be able to answer. Don't want to make a stupid error and get the case thrown out!

1)I presume it makes no difference if I use the online form and then fill in the PDF and then print as opposed to using the official yellow paper form?

2)I presume the court will fill in the court fee and amount at bottom of front page and the bit at the top which says which court it is in.

3) In section 7 it asks you to state when the section 21 expired. My section 21 expires AFTER 26 Aug however the court form says "The notice expired on the xxxx 20xx. So can I flll in AFTER 26 Aug or do they want a specific date.

9) With regards section 9 which is postponement for hardship I presume there is no harm in me crossing it out to get a hearing. The tenant has just had a baby and due to it being an HMO it will disturb other tenants and is a breach of my licence for numbers of occupiers. She also wants to leave for more suitable accomodation but the council have not re-housed her nor has she found anyone to take her on with HB. So far we are on good terms and she may not object because I have advised her that eviction will force the council to rehouse her. But if she does argue exceptional hardship, I have nothing to counter that apart from the fact that the sooner the court orders possession the sooner the council rehouse and hence they should not delay.Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks if anyone can help.

Comment

1) No difference

2) You fill it in

3) Put 26 Aug

9) Don't fill it in. If yourpapers are in order you should get possession order in 4-6 weeks. Remember after that has expired you will have to apply for an eviction order which will take another month.

Comment

Originally posted by tahmur View Post
                      1) No difference

2) You fill it in

3) Put 26 Aug

9) Don't fill it in. If yourpapers are in order you should get possession order in 4-6 weeks. Remember after that has expired you will have to apply for an eviction order which will take another month.
                      Thanks for your response tahmur.

One more question if I may.

Section 3 of the form states that on xxxx(date) 20xx the claimant entered into a written tenancy agreement.

Well the agreement is dated 25 April because that is when it was signed however the actual term was 6 months from 27 April 2003. The rent is mentioned as being payable on 1st of month but following Jeffrey's advice I dated the sectiopn 21 as expiring AFTER 26 August.

I presume the right date to fill in for section 3 would be 25 april because that is when we signed lease? Hopefully judge will look at lease before automatically striking out claim!!

Comment

Yes. You enter into an Agreement when it is completed and begins to have legal effect- even if the period of occupation begins later (or earlier, for that matter)- so 25 April 2007 is the relevant date to insert.
                        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks.

Just spotted one more possible problem area. I'm sorry if my questions sound stupid, but from reading on here it seems you only need to be a tiny bit incorrect for the judge to send you packing.

Section 7 asks for the date that section 21 notice was served on the tenant.

I hand delivered it and push it under the door of the tenant's room at 6.15pm on monday 11th june.

The only thing is service is deemed to be later, probably wed 13th june. This is plenty of time because expiry is aug 26th, but what date do I put to avoid getting into problems?(or would they not be so sticky on this?).

Comment

Accelerated possession-requesting possession

Court sent papers to tenant and deemed them served wed 5th sep.

It says tenant has 14 days from service to file defence and then I can apply for judgement using the tear off slip.

So does that mean I can go to the court this wednesday the 19th or Thur 20th?

If service date is included then 14 days runs out tue.

Court clerk who answered the phonre told me I should come Thursday, but I feel they might be wrong and would rather believe the experts here than the court people!!

Comment

Sounds to me that the Court Clerk is correct and that the 19th is the date to apply. If it is merely a stamping job. then you can pop round to the bailiffs' office and book them if you need to.

P.P.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to How to evict professional tenant?
                                by DoricPixie
                                The tenant sounds like a delusional bampot. How is he going to afford a very expensive solicitor?

Do you know if the council in which the rental property is located has landlord licensing? I’m trying to figure out where he’s getting this £30k figure from....
                                26-06-2022, 23:40 PM
                              • How to evict professional tenant?
                                by CharlesRiver
                                I have a professional tenant rented my house a few years ago. The tenant relied on housing benefit to pay the rent. It was a one-year fixed term AST, and the tenant refused to leave from then and declined our access to the property for inspection for many years. He damaged the house extensively and...
                                23-06-2022, 01:48 AM
                              • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
                                by DoricPixie
                                The council can’t magic up a suitable property if there are none available. Whilst being able to present as homeless on top of the health issues will give the daughter more points if there aren’t any suitable properties then your daughter is still going to be between a rock and a hard place. Presenting...
                                26-06-2022, 23:37 PM
                              • Council staying eviction needed
                                by lostforwords
                                My daughter is a tenant in a house and has been for 7years without any problems for 6 of the years. Last year she had to give up working full time due to health reasons. Since then they've got worse, she suffered a blood clot which leaves her breathless and can't have oxygen as she has a gas hob. She...
                                26-06-2022, 14:45 PM
                              • Reply to N5B Form
                                by Truth
                                Any tips on a good one to use?
                                26-06-2022, 22:24 PM
                              • N5B Form
                                by Truth
                                Good Afternoon everyone,
                                Its my first post on the site and probably like most first posts on here I am asking for help !
                                Without going into too much detail my tenant has decided to stop paying his rent , after I gave him notice to leave, and ignore Section 8 and Section 21 notices sent by...
                                24-06-2022, 13:18 PM
                              • Reply to N5B Form
                                by Truth
                                I think I'm going to down the housing solicitor / eviction company route.
                                Its going to cost me but this is really bringing me down now in all honesty . I've got a daughter and Mom with very serious health issues and I need to concentrate on them rather than a jerk who's taking me for a ride !...
                                26-06-2022, 22:23 PM
                                by Hudson01
                                Could not agree more, but given the reluctance of the social sector to '' do the right thing'', we will always be in a battle to get them to house vulnerable people.

What a sad state of affairs....
                                26-06-2022, 20:13 PM
                                by gnvqsos
                                The problem here is that the woman was not vulnerable and thus chose the private option. She is now in the wrong sector ,and the landlord is not trained to address such problems....
                                26-06-2022, 20:10 PM
                                by Hudson01
                                Sad to say it but i would evict them now...... it is coming our way and when it hits the reasons you have will not qualify, as i suspect many others will and only time will show them up in this forum and the wider press.

Vulnerable individuals should really not be in the PRS, but due to...
                                26-06-2022, 20:02 PM
                              Working...
                              X