Can i end my licence agreement early if property is an unlicensed hmo?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can i end my licence agreement early if property is an unlicensed hmo?

    Hi, I'm new to the forum so apologies if this subject has been covered off elsewhere (couldn't find anything). I naively signed a 'licence agreement' when moving into the room in my current flat. I'd never heard of this before and everything else pointed to it being a standard AST (it even said tenancy agreement at the top). My main concern was the letting agents claim that this meant they weren't required to secure my deposit in a standard protection scheme. I've taken advice from the council office & Citizens Advice and it's evident that the agreement isn't appropriate (as the landlord/agent doesn't claim residential status) and the flat is let as an HMO which he clearly doesn't have a licence for as the shared 'facilities' (1 room with a toilet and sink, a shower cubicle in very poor condition in the room next to it and a small kitchen) are grossly inadequate for a 5 bedroom property. I'm halfway through a 6 month contract but am desperate to terminate this now as the boiler is constantly breaking down, the shared areas are filthy, I have to use the shower at work, the front door is frequently left unlocked by the other tenants and now my bedroom has become infested with ants.

    I'd really appreciate some advice on whether I have grounds to terminate contract early or whether I should go straight to Environmental Health to report the agent for an unlicensed HMO. The guidance I've had so far is fairly vague and noncommittal (and it's understandably difficult to get an appointment) but I'm now at my wits end and paying £780 a month for the privilege.
    Hope this is all OK, first time poster so bear with me! Cheers.

    Normally the agent and the landlord aren't the same "person", so the agent is simply working for the landlord.

    It's quite possible that the property doesn't need to be licensed, all HMO's don't have to be licensed.

    Presumably, while the ants and door locking are new issues, the shared facilities are as they were when you viewed the place.

    If the agreement you signed has a fixed term, from a cancellation point of view the type of agreement doesn't really matter.
    You can't terminate it early unless the landlord (or the agent on behalf of the landlord) agrees.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      'phone Shelter 0808 800 4444. Suspect your deposit should be protecteed & you can sue landlord for up to 3xdeposit.

      In your shoes I would point this out to landlord & agent then request early end by mutual agreement. Leave. Then sue for 3xdeposit.
      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      Latest Activity


      • Reply to Renting rooms
        by Luke
        No, I have changed my mind , I will not be living abroad permanently , I will probably just go abroad for a few weeks at a time and reside at my UK property for the rest of the time...
        06-07-2022, 00:17 AM
      • Renting rooms
        by Luke
        I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
        I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
        I do not intend to live at the property
        Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
        As its...
        28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
      • Reply to Renters reform bill
        by DoricPixie
        You can thank the tenant with a dog I did let to in the past for now being reluctant to let to other people with dogs and probably cats too.

        The fact your income comes for 100% benefits isn’t a hard no though as long as you are able to pass affordability....
        05-07-2022, 23:15 PM
      • Renters reform bill
        by flyingfreehold
        i have just read an interesting summary of all that is proposed in the EG (Estates Gazette). As drafted it effectively brings back a form of rent control as tenants will have the right to go to First Tier Tribunal to challenge any rent increases which must be proposed by section 13 notices.
        04-07-2022, 16:29 PM
      • Reply to Renting rooms
        by DoricPixie
        You’re not though are you? You’re getting these people to rent the property because you’ll be living overseas. The property will cease to be your only if main home.

        Maybe you’ll get away with pretending these people are lodgers and these people will move out the property when you...
        05-07-2022, 23:09 PM
      • Reply to Renting rooms
        by Luke
        I do intend staying in the property permeantely though , although I may have to stay elsewhere sometimes...
        05-07-2022, 21:42 PM
      • Reply to Licensing inspection
        by royw
        Sounds like the power has gone to their heads Can't you, or rather the tenants, have some fun? Well placed boobie traps or a fierce dog perhaps?
        05-07-2022, 21:42 PM
      • Licensing inspection
        by Section20z
        Just had letter from London Borough of ****** saying they will be inspecting my house at some time in the next 28 days to ensure licence compliance. No further notice will be given and tenants are expected to grant access to all areas, windows to be left open for air supply, and doors all left open...
        05-07-2022, 13:57 PM
      • Reply to Renting rooms
        by ash72
        You would be creating an issue for yourself, you want to be able to evict a T (for whatever reason) which do not have the same rights as a T on an AST, the problem would be that you would have 2 T's who would have evidence etc, that you never lived there while they lived there...... When someone is...
        05-07-2022, 21:23 PM
      • Reply to Am I obliged to....
        by Sydaton
        It crosses my mind that if you install something that doesn't comply with regulations - eg a rope flush against the wall - then you might be more likely to be opening yourself up to a claim than if you'd left the stairs as they were when you bought the house....
        05-07-2022, 20:22 PM