Enforcing Possession Order and registering CCJ

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Enforcing Possession Order and registering CCJ


    First post and surprise surprise in need of some information!

    As a landlord I received a court order for possession last week which gave the tenant 14 days to leave. I am aware that he won't be leaving in this time and therefore I would like to know what steps we need to complete to ensure his evicton. I believe we need to enforce the order through the use of bailiffs however I don't know when we can apply for this? is this after the 14 days or from the date of the court hearing?

    On a slightly different note will a CCJ be recorded against the tenant's name? or is this obtained through another method? (he owes us over £3000 which I don't expect back but would like to help protect future landlords that the tenant will take advantage of).

    Many thanks


    I suggest you contact the bailiff's office at the court as soon as possible. They will tell you when you can formally request the bailiffs to enforce your possession order (non refundable fee of £95 I believe).
    If you obtained your possession order under section 21, then no action with regard to rent due will be taken, you must persue your tenant through the small claims court in a separate action to obtain the CCJ you want. If however you used section 8, then the court granting the possession order will also make an order for the repayment of the outstanding rent.

    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.



      Thanks for the info. I can confirm we issued a Section 8. On our "Order of Possession" it states that "This order has been made of discretionary grounds and that the courts orders"....."Judgement for arrears of £3000 and charge for...."

      If the tenant doesn't pay does this then automatically become a CCJ against their name or do we need to enforce it through the use of a N323 Warrant of Execution?




        Has your tenant got a job or a car?


        Latest Activity


        • council won't help with Noise and Nuisance
          My tenant is having a hard time with a neighbour, who's installed a door alarm to catch the burglar who steals from her fridge (!?). My tenant is frustrated by the alarm going off 3 times a night, probably due to the neighbour opening the door herself. I've called council (landlord of the neighbour),...
          15-01-2018, 12:32 PM
        • Reply to council won't help with Noise and Nuisance
          The tenant can't pull out of the contract because the property is uninhabitable if it isn't.
          An alarm going off at night isn't enough to make the place uninhabitable, it's just a pain and the tenant needs to sort it out.

          The people the tenant will have to involve to have the property...
          16-01-2018, 09:35 AM
        • Neighbours are claiming for smoke damage to their property.
          My tenants accidentally set fire to my property causing catastrophic damage. Unfortunately I had let my building insurance lapse and so have had to pay for all refurbishment and damage myself. The house is still uninhabitable with no tenants living there. The fire service came out and the cause...
          15-01-2018, 19:16 PM
        • Reply to Neighbours are claiming for smoke damage to their property.
          Thank you Mr B your advice is certainly reassuring...
          16-01-2018, 09:32 AM
        • Small damage to landlords wooden floor...

          ​​​​​Im new here so I hope i posted in right section.

          ​​​​​​I have a problem, I was helping out a friend and I kept her cat at my place for a few days, because it all came so fast i had to make a toilet really fast for cat .. it was from cardboard...
          15-01-2018, 19:42 PM
        • Reply to Small damage to landlords wooden floor...
          The landlord is able to claim for any loss beyond fair wear and tear that occurs during the tenancy.
          The damage isn't fair wear and tear, so the landlord can ask you for compensation.

          Will the landlord even notice before you move out - which is when any claim can be made?
          16-01-2018, 09:26 AM
        • Am I locked in to agency fees?
          I am just coming to the end of my first year of being a LL on a property which I self manage. My tenants are great and I now wish to ditch my agent to save them and me money and collect the rent myself. The agent's contract does clearly state that fees are liable for as long as the tenant resides. This...
          15-01-2018, 20:02 PM
        • Reply to Am I locked in to agency fees?
          Don't lie to the agent - they're not (that) stupid, and then you would owe them the fees if they claimed them.

          I'd try and negotiate a deal - for most businesses a large chunk of income today is worth more than the promise of income month by month.

          The agent's business model...
          16-01-2018, 09:24 AM
        • Termination of Tenancy
          looking for some practical advice here, first post.I shall try to hit the main points and be brief.
          I have been renting my house to a couple whilst I have been out of the UK with a private rental contract, visiting the house once a year. They have been renting for 10 years , on a one...
          15-01-2018, 15:34 PM
        • Reply to Termination of Tenancy
          The tenant "gave" the landlord the light fittings and power sockets when they fitted them to the landlord's property.
          They can't return the property with holes where they used to be - that isn't fair wear and tear.
          They could replace them with sockets and light fittings equivalent...
          16-01-2018, 09:19 AM