Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy signed for another year.

Hi fellow LL:

Just signed another 12 months with the foreign students (from Aug-07 to Aug-08).

However, I will need to plan for putting advert again soon in Jan/Feb '08.

Anyway, I have a question. If the students are agreed and wants to rent the property, could I sign an AST that starts in Sep '08 and take their deposit and put in DPS?

Is there anything wrong with this?

Thanks,

Nothing wrong legally, no, but there are two potential pitfalls:
    1. Executing AST in Jan/Feb creates a binding contract there and then. Make sure that you receive a deposit, one way or another, and explain to T that AST is thereupon legally binding.
    2. Section 4(1)(d) of Land Registration Act 2002 makes registration compulsory for any lease/letting- no matter how short- that begins over three months after completion date. This is T's responsibility, not yours, and T will probably not bother registering- but, if T does register, you will need the entries removing when the lease/letting ends.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Are you able to expand point 2 above? I'm lost with that response.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by 126 View Post
        Hi Jeff,

Are you able to expand point 2 above? I'm lost with that response.

Thanks,

[jeffrey, not 'jeff', please!]

LRA 2002 requires leaseholder to register any new long lease (which was the law pre-Act) BUT also introduced need to register a 'future' lease, i.e. term beginning > 3 mths. from completion date. I have no idea why!
        So your T who signs-up now (or in Jan/Feb 2008) for a term starting in autumn 2008 ought to register this at HMLR. Most tenants won't, of course, but such registration will cause mayhem if:
        a. T forgets to delete it and departs out-of-contact when term expires; and
        b. L wants a nice clean registered title.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X