Lodger rights when undue rent taken by landlord??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lodger rights when undue rent taken by landlord??

I am currently a lodger with a makeshift rent-a-room agreement and I am due to move out soon. The agreement states that a month's notice to be given on either side but the problem is the landlady agreed by e-mail to allow me to give 2-3 weeks notice but is still saying she will take rent for the full month.

The e-mail stated that I would be moving out at the start of September if not the August bank holiday, so I am moving out the August bank holiday - and told her, to which she said OK. The landlady has decided to interpret this e-mail as the start of September rather than the bank holiday - thus charging me til the start of September.

Is this allowed if she has previously stated that it was OK for me to give her less notice??

The rent is paid in advance from the 1st of the month so do I have a right to get the money back given the circumstances?

Also she does not live in the property and I think she is trying to get around tax and mortgage rate issues by not having me as a tenant with an AST contract.

What can I do??

Any advice much appreciated.

It sounds like you need to talkher clearly about it as to what you thought she had agreed.

It depends on what she specifically said as you may have mis-understood her meaning...but as she is holding the money, getting a rebate is not practical unless you can explain yourself clearly. I would actually explain to her that you were only expecting to pay for 3 weeks...be clear about it and explain about what she wrote in the email. Let her give you her reasons why she is charging the full month so there are no misunderstandings. She may say that she meant she was happy for you to go early, but that rent is still due , as your agreement would suggest.

Although i would say she's entitled to keep the extra week, as it stands from your agreement, you would be entitled to stay in your room until your rent was used up..as she cant have it both ways. You could say that you will stay the extra week now...and see if she would rather see you go sooner by refunding the last week.

Having said this; if your landlady is not currently living in the home as her main residence (and she is not just away on holiday or on business) you are not just a licencee (ie a lodger), you are actually a tenant. If you decided to dig your heels in and not move out, she would need a court order to evict you, which could take months. She probably doesn't realise this, as many LL's do not understand the difference between a lodger and a tenant. Anyway, that wont help your situtation, as you intend to move out anyway and it pays to be on good terms with people.
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is time more important than money?
      by Lawcruncher
      I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place....
      27-01-2022, 23:02 PM
    • Is time more important than money?
      by jpucng62
      Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
      Garden was left in a mess...
      27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
    • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
      by MdeB
      That is because you have to do things properly for S21 to be valid.

Do everything properly and the S21 is valid.
      Get one thing wrong and it is invalid. There are many things to get right....
      27-01-2022, 22:54 PM
    • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
      by Beeble
      We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
      25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
    • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
      by Lawcruncher
      The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
      27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
    • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
      by Piffy
      I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
      27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
    • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
      by AndrewDod
      Almost everything is telling you to sell them - far away, no experience, higher rate taxpayer, current environment
      27-01-2022, 22:04 PM
    • Inherited a few rentals
      by Landlord7289
      Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
      25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
    • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
      by DoricPixie
      Lawcruncher,

Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach...
      27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
    • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
      by Hudson01
      Totally agree, the classic - still the best. They sound like a nightmare and i would be looking to get rid as soon as i could whilst we still have S21, removing kitchen cupboards !!! In a 2 bed flat...... why the hell would you remove part of a fitted kitchen, what are you going to do with the space....
      27-01-2022, 20:41 PM
    Working...
    X