Bad landlady, bad neighbours- tenant cross with both

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad landlady, bad neighbours- tenant cross with both

My Landlady is a nightmare, as stated on previous posts the neighbours are party animals and have sex parties all night, or slam doors or have dogs barking, sewage overflows when you flush toilet or use washing machine fire alarm ripped from wall with bare elecric wires coming out of it, damp so bad we always have sniffles and the lightbulb in hall sparked and fused and once in my eye making it numb for a day and me half blind for a day. Toilet leaks, fridge broken, roof needs new tiles so every time it rains place gets flooded, seagulls nesting on roof.

Now the landlord is REFUSING to repair to repair this, we did get the Enviromental health round and they werent bothered apart from the damp which has made me fall and hurt back and im still in pain now. And they quote dont need to fix it as the Enviromental health say its liveable in and im in arrears with rent, when the only arrears I am in are I get PAID housing benefit in arrears but she claims I never paid 3 weeks rent when I moved in which I did.

Now what can I say before I explode with anger to her. and swear and scream at her.

1. By failing to keep structure in good repair, L is committing a criminal offence: section 11 of Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. Report her to the police OR press Env. Health to prosecute her.
    2. Whether or not the house is habitable is irrelevant.
    3. As for noisy neighbours (sex parties? really?), this is not L's fault. However, she might be deemed responsible (vicarious liability) if they are also tenants of hers and she is failing to enforce their own tenancy obligations.
    4. It is best not to be confrontational with the neighbours or with L. You could instruct a solicitor or, to reduce/avoid cost, approach local CAB.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Why not move somewhere else better? No shortage of rental property around.

Comment

No point for a few reasons, 1 I reckon they will try and keep deposit, 2 id need to hire a van to move possesions and a driver, and 3 im starting uni in 7 or so weeks in another part of country so its not a great idea, plus it would take a week or so to pack and take old stuff to charity shop and move, plus Im waiting for about 15 packages from Ebay which havent arrived.

Comment

Surely life is too short to be in such a hell hole????

Comment

...unless you like sex parties, of course.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Part furnished
              by theartfullodger
              Trust you've reported the thefts to police
              18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
            • Part furnished
              by Chester Perry
              Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
              18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
            • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
              by Bumblebee3000
              This is very helpful, MdeB, thank you. I will try to relax about the inventory now. In regards to the mould - the landlord has a letter from the curtain cleaning company stating that the mould has been "killed" during the cleaning. I actually spoke with the curtain cleaner when he was here...
              18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
            • Landlord refuses to sign inventory
              by Bumblebee3000
              We've recently rented a house that from the very start seemed badly taken care of - there were various problems like a mouldy washing machine/curtains, broken curtain rails, etc. When we arrived to meet the inventory clerk, we signed a 2-page document of handwritten inventory notes (we broadly agreed...
              17-09-2020, 20:13 PM
            • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
              by jpkeates
              The process seems to have changed recently.
              The landlord claims from the deposit and that claim should have a summary of what they are claiming and why.
              You dispute that and then you both have one chance to explain your side of the story.
              But you do that with only access to what the...
              18-09-2020, 13:57 PM
            • Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
              by Maymiss
              I am moving out of my rented home shortly, i have caused some damage which I notified the landlord of when it happened and they have recently visited to discuss the cost of repairs, which we have agreed. The landlord is now asking that I pay this money to them directly. It is not possible for the work...
              03-08-2020, 11:47 AM
            • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
              by jpkeates
              Every notice escalated to court is recorded and the figures published quarterly, so breaking out the s21 notices from the s8 shouldn't be complicated.

Two of the links are to House of Commons research papers, to be fair!...
              18-09-2020, 13:51 PM
            • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
              by fmST1
              When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
              I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
              11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
            • Reply to Part furnished
              by jpkeates
              It depends on your local market.
              Mine seems expect a fridge freezer and washing machine as an "unfurnished" property.

Blinds not curtains and it varies - usually whats been left behind (have had to add some blind safety hook things in the past).

Check ads for...
              18-09-2020, 13:48 PM
            • Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
              by boletus
              What are your arrears, ASB, and eviction rates as a % of all tenancies?
              18-09-2020, 13:41 PM
            Working...
            X