Help Needed, serving notice due to property demolition/renovation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Needed, serving notice due to property demolition/renovation

Landlord of ours has two tenants who signed a twelve month tenancy agreement earlier this year. the landlord was planning to refurbish the flats above, but now the tenants are "in the way" of the redevelopment and the landlord would like to serve notice.
    I believe the landlord does have rights to end the tenancy early if he plans on renovating the property. Is this correct? can anyone advise on what notice to serve and whether the landlord actually [U]can[U] end the tenancy and/or whether he is obliged to re-house or compensate the tenants?
    Your help would be appreciated.

Yes and no.
    Yes: L can try to end tenancy on expiry, using "demolish and reconstruct" ground.
    No: this does not work DURING the fixed term
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

so are we saying that there is no section the landlord can service during the period on the grounds that he needs the property back to carry out work?

I was under the impression there was a Ground 6, "where the landlord intends to develop all or a substantial part of the property and cannot do so with the tenant in occupation, except in certain circumstances"

Do you know of this ground?

Comment

Originally posted by nick4692 View Post
        so are we saying that there is no section the landlord can service during the period on the grounds that he needs the property back to carry out work?

I was under the impression there was a Ground 6, "where the landlord intends to develop all or a substantial part of the property and cannot do so with the tenant in occupation, except in certain circumstances"

Do you know of this ground?
        Yes and no.
        Ground 6 exists. However, it cannot be used so as to end term early: see s.7(6)(a).
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X