Landlord is selling - what marketing is reasonable??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord is selling - what marketing is reasonable??

Hi there, We are 4 months short of our tenancy ending and the landlord wants to sell. What I would like to know is what is reasonable to expect with regard to them wanting to arrange viewings / put for sale sign up etc etc. I am willing to accommodate the agents but to a point. This is our home and I do not want to spend the next 4 months allowing people to view constantly and having to be tidy 24/7! I just don't know what to do - what amount of viewings is fair and do I have to have a for sale sign outside? Any points of view appreciated, I don't want to be a misery but I don't benefit from hoards of people coming through and I just want a quiet life!!!!

> having to be tidy 24/7!

No LL can enforce that! I've been round tenanted houses that have been untidy as anything. It knocks tens of thousands off the price... If your LL had any sense he'd wait until you'd left before marketing it.
    The contents of this note are neither advice nor a definitive answer. If you plan to rely on this, you should pay somebody for proper advice.

Comment

Originally posted by bubsblooms View Post
      Hi there, We are 4 months short of our tenancy ending and the landlord wants to sell. What I would like to know is what is reasonable to expect with regard to them wanting to arrange viewings / put for sale sign up etc etc. I am willing to accommodate the agents but to a point. This is our home and I do not want to spend the next 4 months allowing people to view constantly and having to be tidy 24/7! I just don't know what to do - what amount of viewings is fair and do I have to have a for sale sign outside? Any points of view appreciated, I don't want to be a misery but I don't benefit from hoards of people coming through and I just want a quiet life!!!!
      Legally, you don't have to allow any, so its whats personally acceptable to you really

I'd go for the absolute minimum you think is acceptable. Even once a week would feel too much like intrusion for me

He has chosen to rent to you for the period of your AST, if he has decided to sell after that time, then he needs to have made provision for a period of void after you leave, you are not obliged to provide access during the duration of your AST

Comment

I felt any access would be annoying but thought I was being unfair - I think I will allow one day a week - a 1 hour block and that's it. What about the "for sale" sign? Do I really have to have one for 4 months?? I just feel really irritated by it all

Comment

Originally posted by bubsblooms View Post
          I felt any access would be annoying but thought I was being unfair - I think I will allow one day a week - a 1 hour block and that's it. What about the "for sale" sign? Do I really have to have one for 4 months?? I just feel really irritated by it all
          The pains of renting from the new landlord class who are able to chop and change their mind every year, unfortunately. You have my sympathies, my last rental place changed hands and the new owners were utterly useless - trying to get me to stay despite not having told their mortgage company, all kinds of nonsense that made me move

How has your landlord been? if he/she has been good to you and left you alone, then I would be far more likely to help out if I can within reason. If he's one of the "monthly check-up crowd", I'd say "forget it, pal"

1 hour a week would seem like far too much over a 4 month period, perhaps restrict it to the last month?

Ultimately, you don't have to allow the viewings, so if you're not concerned about frustrating him/her, just say "no"

Comment

i agree with nick

In the tenancy agreement, it grants you 'quiet enjoyment', so if they think that they are entitled..just point out THEY would be breaching your agreement, and not you.
            All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

You do not HAVE to allow ANY viewing, if that is what you wish.
              Also, you DO NOT have to allow a for sale board.

I think the idea of block viewings is fair, but it is your call.

Be fair and polite with the Agent/LL.
              A good LL with want to look after you, because at the end of the day you COULD put off all potential buyers is you wish.

Comment

Why not tell LL that you will allow viewings at £10 a time :-) Similarly say you'll accept a "For Sale" board for £100 or so...

Peter

Comment

or a cut of the sale price.....

Comment

Yes, even just 0.05% would be alright...

Comment

LOL,

The capitalist spirit is alive and well in Britain.
                      Now signature free.

Comment

Originally posted by lorenzo View Post
                        LOL,

The capitalist spirit is alive and well in Britain.
                        Even communists have spirits- look at Russian vodka consumption figures.
                        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by pcwilkins View Post
                          Yes, even just 0.05% would be alright...
                          I'll draw you up a contract for 50% of the 0.05% Plus a bottle of vodka

Comment

What a good idea - I would be accommodating if I got some money out of it!! Fat chance though as it is a huge private housing association type lot that own it so don't care about the individual tenants!! I reckon with all this through traffic of buyers I'll need that vodka myself.......

Comment

Do you know why he selling? There quit a few landlords I know selling now in Berkshire. I sold one of mine a few weeks ago to make my portfolio a little sturdier due to the climate.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
                                by Hudson01
                                To be totally blunt, i feel you have had the very best of it with the previous LL, I would be looking very actively for another property to move too. What ever you do in the end the LL can simply keep increasing the rent until you have to move and in the meantime you will have all the stress, when the...
                                22-01-2022, 21:14 PM
                              • Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
                                by Lucylou99
                                Hi just after some advice. I have been renting the property for 4.5 years, 4 of those with a fantastic landlord and 6 months with a new landlord. When he took over he immediately increased the rent by 25%, annoying but perfectly within his rights. The main issue is maintainance and repairs. I cant report...
                                21-01-2022, 22:11 PM
                              • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
                                by Hudson01
                                I can see that from a laymans point of view that is correct, but when you talk/deal with individuals who have attempted suicide it's simply not the case, if this was a genuine cause for concern and the Police forced entry they did it in the belief that his life was in danger, from himself probably....
                                22-01-2022, 20:56 PM
                              • Property damaged. Advice please
                                by minorbark
                                Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
                                18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
                              • Reply to Garage left filled with tenant's goods
                                by theartfullodger
                                When I bought a house in 2000 in the Highlands it came with a garage: Which had a car in it. Belonged to a neighbour, who used it to sleep in when he'd been in the pub too late & his wife locked him out. Took me 6 months to sort...
                                22-01-2022, 18:51 PM
                              • Garage left filled with tenant's goods
                                by robbo2233
                                Hi! Hoping the forum can advise me. We have a lock-up garage in a residential estate that had been let to an individual who ceased to pay monthly rental. Notice to quit was served by our letting agents Countrywide in October, and yet the tenant's goods still remain in situ. Agents have advised...
                                20-01-2022, 21:31 PM
                              • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
                                by Lawcruncher
                                The point here is though that the tenant's obligations under the tenancy cannot extend to repairing parts of the property which the landlord is under an obligation to repair.

Outside the tenancy, anyone, including a tenant, who damages property must meet the cost of repairing the damage....
                                22-01-2022, 18:45 PM
                              • Reply to Labour taxation plans
                                by theartfullodger
                                May I quote the Telegraph. on Sunak's kind gift of the highest tax burden for quite some time....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...tax-burden-70/
                                22-01-2022, 18:10 PM
                              • Labour taxation plans
                                by steaming
                                Rachel Reeves R4 this am told the interviewer that Labour (when in power) would raise money by taxing those with BTL property much more than at present, she opined it was wrong that “they” were “getting away with it”. No challenge from BBC or fact check as to present tax. You are warned.
                                20-01-2022, 16:55 PM
                              • Reply to Labour taxation plans
                                by SouthernDave
                                The limited company system has been abused for too long by people trying to save on tax by claiming they are a company. I know loads of people of set themselves up as limted companies and have now been caught by IR35. They have spoiled it for those of us who have proper companies to rub who used to...
                                22-01-2022, 17:55 PM
                              Working...
                              X