Utility Bills

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Utility Bills

    I have just started renting out a property but am unsure whose reposibility it is to notify people about the utility bills.Should i do this or is it solely the tenants responsibility.
    Any advice appreciated.

  • #2
    If you have enough properties, it is a tidy little earner if you set up the bills for the tenants you get £30 per utility so for both gas and electric each time you change tenant they will pay you £60. that is if you have an agreement with a particular supplier.

    In general it is the occupiers responsibility to sort out suppliers, and watch data protection if talking about your tenants to the suppliers.


    • #3
      Well, what I do it this: I sign up my new tenant, and part of this process includes reading of the gas, electricity (and water) meters. I then telephone the appropriate suppliers with the readings and the name of the new tenant. Not wanting to make more than my rent out of my tenants I permit them to change utility supplier(s) if they think that they can get a cheaper deal elsewhere. When they leave, again I read the meter with them and give this and their forwarding address to the supplier. (I need their forwarding addrerss to send them their deposit refund cheque, and when asking advise them that this will be passed onto their utility suppliers.) So far, this has worked extremely well, and if said utility suppliers have had difficulty obtaining their money then that is their problem, not mine! If suppliers have been changed during their tenancy, finding who these are is not a problem.

      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.


      Latest Activity