Dodgy Tenant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodgy Tenant?

A further question from me - hope someone can help. The letting agent has found us a tenant. He is 'employed' through an agency but works on a self-employed basis - not sure what this means, he is divorced and apparently has put all his cards on the table and admitted he has a bad credit rating. He has shown the agent all his order books which are apparently all in order. He is divorced and blames his previous debt problems on his ex-wife. He will be living with his partner who works and has an excellent credit rating. He would like to take the property for two years as they are unable to get a mortgage for the time being. They are willing to pay 3 months up front and we have agreed to this as long as both tenants names are on the AST (which will be for 6 months) The rent will be £650 per month. The agent has asked for a letter from us to state that we have been made aware of his credit problems. I am a little nervous as to whether to proceed with these tenants based on this evidence. Could anyone advise?

My own gut feeling would be to give the guy a chance but take a guarantor just to be on the safe side.

Comment

Originally posted by pixie02 View Post
      A further question from me - hope someone can help. The letting agent has found us a tenant. He is 'employed' through an agency but works on a self-employed basis - not sure what this means
      Quite possibly to do with new Construction Industry law where contractors can no longer use self-employed builders etc. on a long term basis without making them employees. Therefore, agencies are being used to get round the situation.

Comment

At least he is being upfront about it.

I would go with him, 3 months up front plus guarantor and if you also feel the need get him to start paying monthly on month 2, that way you will always be 2 months ahead with the rent.

At the end of the day, it is your choice.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, my gut instinct was to give the guy a go so I will on the condition that he has a guarantor. Will keep you updated if any other problems arise.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X