Insurance Claim, New Tenant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance Claim, New Tenant.

Wondered if anyone could shed some light on this situation and maybe advise the best route.

We have an empty house, a potential Tenant has approached us to take the property for 'at least' 6 months.

Now the reason this tenant is looking for somewhere is because she's sleeping in her car because her house has been flooded and she's claiming on her house insurance. The insurance company has told her to go and stay in an hotel but she's got 2 dogs and no local hotels will accept her. The insurance company has said she'll be ok to rent a house for 6 months and they will pay for it.

So my question is,
    am I letting to the Tenant or the Insurance Company?
    If I am letting to the company does this make any difference to our AST and do I need to word anything differently.
    Has anyone experienced anything like this before and if so have you any advise regarding it.
    Ambition is Critical

I don't profess to be a knowledge in all areas, my advice is based on life experience.

Your letting would be to the tenant wishing to occupy, irrespective of funding source. You might want written confirmation that insurer will pay- better yet, it might pay direct to you, if T so agrees. Use normal AST.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I agree with Jeffrey, however I would avoid getting involved with the insurer direct.

Just say to the tenant that you will let them have the property, six months rent due upfront, subject to a standard AST and let them deal with their insurer.

Due to the floods, insurance companies are having a hard time processing claims with any amount of speed. Just leave this complication down to the tenant.

Comment

As an aside, there could be a real shortage of rental property in affected areas for a few months.
        Now signature free.

Comment

Originally posted by lorenzo View Post
          As an aside, there could be a real shortage of rental property in affected areas for a few months.
          It's no good highlighting it in red Lorenzo, Jeffrey will still pick you up on it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
            It's no good highlighting it in red Lorenzo, Jeffrey will still pick you up on it!!
            Just wanted to show my progress.
            Now signature free.

Comment

Not in red, as far as I can see!
              But Lorenzo is correct re shortage of housing. Trouble is: all the areas' housing is probably affected, so whoever has a dry house with running water (via taps, not doorways) and electricity will want it for own use.
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

I just had a new BTL idea....

Now signature free.

Comment

Originally posted by lorenzo View Post
                  I just had a new BTL idea....

I'll take it, how much do you want PCM?

Comment

Now - there was a query on here a few months ago from a tenant renting a barge. He wanted to know what form of rental agreement his landlord should use and whether Corgi certification was needed for the gas heating installation.

P.P.
                    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
                      Now - there was a query on here a few months ago from a tenant renting a barge. He wanted to know what form of rental agreement his landlord should use and whether Corgi certification was needed for the gas heating installation.

P.P.
                      It's not a barge!

It is a delux riverside abode.

Comment

OP, I can tell you what happens as my Insurance company had to rent me a place for six months.

Your agreement is with the tenant, but get a fax from the insurance company saying they will pay the deposit and rent.

When it happened to me my insurance company paid the agent fees (£135 each ) and paid the deposit. They took 2 months then to pay the rent but then always paid it in advance.

My insurance Co was then a bit sneaky in that they owed me a few £'s as part of my claim, so they paid me... minus the deposit!! So I had to go after the landlord for the deposit, and I got this after they checked with the insurance co it was ok to pay it back to me.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice
                          I've written the AST for the tenant and taken the deposit and 1st months rent from her.
                          I've spoken to the insurance company who have agreed to pay the whole rent upfront directly to me which I await!! haha

Once they pay i'll refund the (already paid) monies to the Tenant and hopefully everybody will be happy.

Gareth
                          Ambition is Critical

I don't profess to be a knowledge in all areas, my advice is based on life experience.

Comment

[Smiler]: "Your agreement is with the tenant, but get a fax from the insurance company saying they will pay the deposit and rent."

...as I said in post #2.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
                              by bobthebuilder2
                              he may well do what you fear, an s21 if you want lots of repairs doing or put rent up.
                              an option is to speak to the council, get it inspected and have them issue an order to fix the items and if he gives you a s21 in return you should be able to defend against retaliatory eviction. how long it...
                              22-01-2022, 11:08 AM
                            • Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
                              by Lucylou99
                              Hi just after some advice. I have been renting the property for 4.5 years, 4 of those with a fantastic landlord and 6 months with a new landlord. When he took over he immediately increased the rent by 25%, annoying but perfectly within his rights. The main issue is maintainance and repairs. I cant report...
                              21-01-2022, 22:11 PM
                            • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                              by Turbine Terry
                              In my area rental properties are like looking for hens teeth in a haystack, and that is partly the reason for the 97 enquiries I had recently on a property. The other reason was that for that property I started the referencing/ credit check process with 2 lots of separate tenants that both failed to...
                              22-01-2022, 11:07 AM
                            • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                              by AVJ113
                              Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                              20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
                              by boletus
                              You have to look for it as it is not readily or clearly available. The English Housing Survey and the MoJ possession statistics are a good place to start. The pattern is repeated in most surveys (I'll try and find one).

From experience, it's not a bad rule of thumb but the...
                              22-01-2022, 11:00 AM
                            • Reply to Charity Opening up house next door as Temp Housing
                              by DPT57
                              It may be exempt from licensing.
                              22-01-2022, 10:52 AM
                            • Charity Opening up house next door as Temp Housing
                              by westbrookdiane3
                              Hi all,

this was a shock to receive a letter from next door saying they where a charity and wanted access to our property to put new drainage system into our property and tell us they are opening the house up as tempary housing. is this something we can contest, i mean can this impacts...
                              22-01-2022, 03:39 AM
                            • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
                              by mokka
                              Tough really. Tenant didn’t do it not his responsibility. Landlord has to either claim in his insurance because I just know the police won’t cough up as they will quote the said law that covers them as they don’t break down doors as a habit and without cause.

On the other hand if...
                              22-01-2022, 10:47 AM
                            • Property damaged. Advice please
                              by minorbark
                              Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
                              18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
                              by jpkeates
                              You have to be careful with these press release statistics though.

That figure quotes a survey based on landlord's responses based on something that began to happen last October, when the £20 a week was removed from the UC payment.
                              So it's quite a specific period.

And...
                              22-01-2022, 10:29 AM
                            Working...
                            X