Key for French door - is landlord obliged to provide it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting back to the original question.

HMO's require Fire Risk Assessments no matter whether they require licences or not. I cannot imagine an FRA not picking up on a possible escape route being locked with no means of opening. All exit doors should be on thumbturns anyway not keys. Contact the landlord and request a key be provided or lock changed as this is a fire escape route. If he refuses threaten with contacting the council and see if it prompts action.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      Most people would not believe what students put down toilets and sinks.
      Kitchen roll and A4 paper is a favourite student toilet blocker.

Male students particularly have issues with a shared facility that is no one's specific responsibility to clean or maintain.
      I don't know is the answer, but have seen the 'bathroom' it's a weird set up and it looks like it was put together on the cheap with a tiny wash basin directly above the toilet.
      Maybe the connection to the drainage has been badly set up. The jury is out. I suppose if the landlord can show it's their fault ...

Comment

Originally posted by Worn and torn View Post

When they requested the key in the Autumn the landlord said he would look for one.
        Therefore the Landlord has agreed that the doors should be able to be opened, as " He will look for a key"
        Your son is entitled to open the door, as the landlord has agreed, it needs a key and he will supply a key.

Therefore, if a key or replacement lock is not fitted by 15th March, your son can get someone in to replace the lock and supply a key which the landlord has agreed to "look and supply )
        If Failure for the landlord to supply a key or pay for a replacement lock and keys, your son, on the 15th, writes and states that as the landlord has agreed the door needs a key and son is at liberty to open said door/s, that he will get tradesmen in to fix the lock and take it out of next months rent.

Always inform landlord in this way, as proof the landlord has refused to fix the lock in a "Timely manner" ( would then be about 7 months he refused to fix the lock )

But up to you what you advise your son., but your son is in the right.

Comment

wow, when i spotted this post i thought it would be a couple of replies saying..... yes, he should provide a key or a new barrel as its just that, a cheap thing to do and it would be a nice !!! Jesus, where has all that xmas spirit gone, the lad just wants a bit of fresh air in the summer months.... if i were the landlord i would not take a second thought to either find the key or spend less than a £10 note and change the cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post
            wow, when i spotted this post i thought it would be a couple of replies saying..... yes, .
            Yes, but HMO's were thrown in, H+S thrown in, Fire regs thrown in, Blocked toilets thrown in.

Should keep to the original question ( if possible ).

Comment

ram,

Bringing up the fact it is an HMO and that there is a possible breach of fire regs is extremely valid and is in keeping with the original question.

Comment

andybenw,

Fire regs may be relevant, but the answer is Yes, you need what you were promised when you view a flat, you see French doors and assume the doors open.
                You see a cooker and assume the door opens.
                he was promised a key but none arrived, therefore letter to landlord as described in post 18 will suffice.

Comment

IMO nothing to stop the occupant of the room calling in a locksmith to provide a new key or change the lock, possibly just a change of the barrel, provided T replaces orig lock before moving. Of course the doors may be faulty and should not be opened.
                  No one need know about lock change, provided orig lock replaced at end of T, so no LL aggravation, for min cost?

Comment

I know it is easy to change a lock if you have the key. But pretty difficult if the door is locked shut. I'd imagine it would take damage to the door or frame. I suppose some types of lock might be easily drilled or picked by a locksmith.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Very difficult tenant issues
                      by landlord-man
                      Has he paid the rent on June 15th and then again on July 15th?

Sounds obvious but have you double checked you have done all the correct paperwork and deposit registration/certificate - triple check it !!

Personally, going forward I would not liaise with the tenant in any way...
                      24-07-2021, 13:19 PM
                    • Very difficult tenant issues
                      by Helvie
                      I'm going to keep this short as its a long story. I have a tenant who signed the new tenancy contract on 15th June and then on 27th June I received about 20-25 messages and pictures the evening saying the flat was unliveable due to pests and that he had only moved in the night before. I went round to...
                      24-07-2021, 12:46 PM
                    • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
                      by Hudson01
                      Even if you were my opinion would stay the same, i think that given it is a converted house the noise isolation and other issues are not the same as separate purpose built flats, so having one as a rental will have far more of an impact upon the other owners who live there. It really is a one way street...
                      24-07-2021, 13:12 PM
                    • Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
                      by witsend55
                      Not sure if this is the best section to post in, so please move if it is considered best place elsewhere.

I have had ownership of a flat, one of just four in a converted house, for many years. There is a simple flat management structure; the four owners are directors and have one share...
                      24-07-2021, 11:53 AM
                    • Reply to No Fault Eviction
                      by jpucng62
                      This is not my understanding - perhaps others can clarify. I thought you had to give your usual notice if you were leaving before the end of the LLs notice period....
                      24-07-2021, 13:09 PM
                    • No Fault Eviction
                      by Gdunwell
                      Hi All, I have been living in the same house for 7 years and have just been served a form 6A giving 4 months notice to vacate. The owner is returning from overseas and wants to live in the house. Whilst disappointed I get that this is one of the perils of renting but it has raised a few questions. ...
                      24-07-2021, 07:54 AM
                    • Reply to Stock Market - Yes or No ?
                      by doobrey
                      Yes, there are some who seem to have fairly consistent positive performance over a period of years. I would be skeptical, though. Could be explained by them having holdings in a few companies (e.g. Amazon) which have done very well over that time(?) I would suspect survivorship bias.

Can...
                      24-07-2021, 13:00 PM
                    • Stock Market - Yes or No ?
                      by landlord-man
                      I will post here but it may get moved - but at least it gets a bit of exposure to begin with lol

I've used a platform called etoro for 2 or 3 years to hold shares in some cruise stocks (don't laugh) - mainly because we do 4 or 5 cruises a year and the shareholder benefits can be quite handy....
                      24-07-2021, 09:50 AM
                    • Reply to Very difficult tenant issues
                      by Hudson01
                      I suspect he is a professional scammer, i do not believe anyone can be such a wimp as to be running scared over a few spiders etc, he may be doing this to simply be paid off to leave the tenancy etc. I would engage a solicitor given he will try all he can to get money out of you, offer to end the tenancy...
                      24-07-2021, 12:55 PM
                    • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
                      by witsend55
                      Thank you for your thoughts on this. I'll appreciate others' input as well. Incidentally I'm not the seller in this issue.
                      24-07-2021, 12:52 PM
                    Working...
                    X