• Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTL Landlords should be regulated...

...according to The Law Commision.

What do folks think?

http://www.citywire.co.uk/News/NewsA...nuKey=News.IFA
    Now signature free.

Fine! I'm quite happy to be regulated, provided the cost of doing so is met by rent increases levied on my tenants who are unlikely to benefit in any way!

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

More government red tape. Property licencing is a joke, just another tax and I'm sure this will be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
        Fine! I'm quite happy to be regulated, provided the cost of doing so is met by rent increases levied on my tenants who are unlikely to benefit in any way!

P.P.
        Exactly, rents will go up.

I have 2 HMO houses subject to licencing. I am going to do my best to get as much rent as possible out of them due to the extortionate licence fee. Other landlords might give up HMO, result will be that prices rice for this type of accomodation and if there is red tape over whole industry rents will go up.

Comment

I'm not aware of it in any other country and it would most certainly be an administrative nightmare... and as PP says, not much benefit to tenants anyway.

I think I'd back the compulsory regulation of letting agents though.
          Now signature free.

Comment

I've got to be honest and say that I'd be voting 'yes' to this.

I disagree with some of the above comments insomuch as I think Tenants would benefit greatly knowing that they are taking on a property from a 'regulated' Landlord.

As the article states it would ensure that Tenants don't get a raw deal from rogue Landlords forcing them to live in unsafe hovels and would reduce the number of unethical forced evictions.

Either regulate them or make them let through an agent who is.
            Ambition is Critical

I don't profess to be a knowledge in all areas, my advice is based on life experience.

Comment

Fair comment, but do bear in mind that regular readers of this board may be forgiven for getting the impression that all landlords are rogues and most tenants are a pain in the a*se! One would also think that most property agents are unprofessional money grabbers at the expense of both their landlord customers and their tenants. This because we only read of the problems.
              Nothing could be further from the truth, thus in the event of regulation being introduced, few tenants would notice any difference, the majority of landlords would be required to complete an expensive paper chase and then continue in business as normal, and maybe, just maybe some rogue landlords would get sorted out, but they are bound to find a way around the problem, probably by ignoring registration in the first place.
              What would happen is that rents would go up and possibly the number of rented properties available would go down. You can bet your sweet bippy that with this government, rogue tenants would continue to be able to get away with what they do now.

P.P.
              Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
                Fair comment, but do bear in mind that regular readers of this board may be forgiven for getting the impression that all landlords are rogues and most tenants are a pain in the a*se! One would also think that most property agents are unprofessional money grabbers at the expense of both their landlord customers and their tenants. This because we only read of the problems.
                Nothing could be further from the truth, thus in the event of regulation being introduced, few tenants would notice any difference, the majority of landlords would be required to complete an expensive paper chase and then continue in business as normal, and maybe, just maybe some rogue landlords would get sorted out, but they are bound to find a way around the problem, probably by ignoring registration in the first place.
                What would happen is that rents would go up and possibly the number of rented properties available would go down. You can bet your sweet bippy that with this government, rogue tenants would continue to be able to get away with what they do now.

P.P.
                Completely agree. My tenants wont notice much difference due to HMO property licensing apart from perhaps having a washbasin in the toilet even though there is a sink in the bathroom next door and they have sinks in their own rooms. What they will notice is rental increases as the licence fee is £200 per room not per house. Additionally I have to get rid of tenants in rooms less than 13m so I will convert these rooms into bathrooms and knock through to adjoining large rooms to make a studio flat. Apart from the expense of doing the work I will get less rent for a studio then renting a large and small bedsit seperately so I will do my best to claw this back through wringing as much rent as possible.

Also cheap accomodation in small rooms will be lost. I thought there is a lack of cheap accomodation?

My properties are of high standard and I have got a licence.If I wouldn't have informed the council would they have found out about my property? I doubt it, so who says the rogue landlords have gone to the council. Hence the good landlords are probably paying for more bureaucracy whilst the rogue landlords carry on behind the scenes.

What I am trying to say is that in my opinion prop[erty licencing is a joke and some of the requirements are nuts.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X