LL wants Bond in his account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LL wants Bond in his account

about to sign a 6 mth ast with a new LL. But when I asked which scheme the Bond would be held in, he became agitated, and says he will not join the official schemes , and that the money will be safe in his own account that he keeps for Bonds. is this okay to go ahead on?

If he fails to give you any details of the bond scheme you can take him to court and you could win up to 3 times the bond amount.. however I would be running from the hills as it seems you have found a dodgy landlord!
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

You could be on a real money earner here.

Not only does he have to lodge the deposit, but he has to give you Prescribed Information - both within 14 days.

Now, even if at a later date he lodges your deposit, if you haven't been given the Prescribed Information, you can still go after the 3 x deposit.

My suggestion would be to live there for 6 months, then once vacated start an action that the prescribed information was not given. Unless he can prove this was done, he is stuffed and you will get the "compensation" of 3 x the deposit.

It's a draconian scheme for landlords, most of whom are reputable, but them's the rules.
      On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerdennis View Post
        about to sign a 6 mth ast with a new LL. But when I asked which scheme the Bond would be held in, he became agitated, and says he will not join the official schemes , and that the money will be safe in his own account that he keeps for Bonds. is this okay to go ahead on?
        Walk away, if your LL does not respect this part of the law, then what other areas will he try to avoid?

Comment

Originally posted by gingerdennis View Post
          ...he became agitated...
          Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
          Walk away, if your LL does not respect this part of the law, then what other areas will he try to avoid?
          Yep, agree 100%, walk away.
          Now signature free.

Comment

You don't know the history or anything about this landlord - ok, so you take him up on the offer and take him to court to get compo - thats great until you end up with broken legs in a dark alley or even worse.

Walk away from it whilst you still can!!!!!! This landlord might be one who makes Rachmann look like a pussycat!!!!!

Comment

Walk away quickly from this one - I have just disinstructed a landlord that i managed a house for as he would not allow me to deal with the deposit in a legal manner

Comment

makes you suspect it might be someone trying out the latest scam we have read about here.

Comment

Thank you for all responses... I have walked away from this one ... many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by justaboutsane View Post
                    however I would be running from the hills as it seems you have found a dodgy landlord!
                    I would advise running towards the hills.

Reminds me of something...oh yes, this is it:

Originally posted by Blackadder: the Foretelling
                    Prince Edmund: They're coming! Run for the hills!
                    Baldrick: No, my lord! They're coming from the hills!
                    Prince Edmund: Run away from the hills! Run away from the hills! If you see the hills, go the other way!
                    Peter

Comment

Originally posted by davidjohnbutton View Post
                      makes Rachmann look like a pussycat
                      See new thread re Rachman (one N) or try portowebbo.co.uk's article about him.
                      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X