Do I inherit the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme from the letting agent?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Do I inherit the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme from the letting agent?

    Hello all.

    I am considering buying a BTL property with a tenant already present who we want to remain.
    I understand that I inherit the tenant and the Tenancy Agreement (which is great), but we are considering dropping the letting agent (who are also the selling agent and already making noises about extending the Tenancy Agreement ect),

    I am assuming that all paperwork including the EPC, GSC, Tenancy Agreement, Condition Inventory and all info pertaining to the tenant (checks references ect) pass to us on completion. However, I am unsure as to whether we need to get a new Tenancy Deposit Scheme and have the letting Agent pass the deposit to our TDS or whether we "inherit" the TDS as well - so there is no nee create a new one.

    Also will we expect to pay the letting agent an admin fee for all this?

    Any advice for new landlords inheriting tenants welcome.

    IMO you need to create a new DPS account in your name and get current holder (LA) to transfer deposit direct to your account, before dispensing with his services (and provide any other paperwork he holds)
    I would also provide T with new PI, and any other documentation currently required for deposit protection eg Right to Rent booklet
    Don't forget s48, stating you are new LL, and provide new 'address for Service of Notices' and bank details for receipt of rent.
    Send all letters to T via First Class pre-paid post and get free Cert of Posting from PO counter clerk.


      None of the selling landlords contracts and agreements with the agent transfer unless you all agree that they do.
      If you're planning to drop the agent, you can assume that they're not going to be falling over themselves to help.

      The deposit and all the other paperwork should be transferred formally as part of the purchase - meaning the selling landlord needs to sort out all the paperwork, not you.

      You should already have the EPC if you're buying the property.
      You won't get the references and credit checks.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Just because the paperwork shows an AST doesn't mean it is. If tenant moved in early enough it could be an AT or rent act tenancy.

        Unless you have some proof independent of seller & his agents (eg date the place built quite recent) then ask tenant when he moved in before doing anything else...
        I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


        Latest Activity


        • Reply to Renting rooms
          by Luke
          No, I have changed my mind , I will not be living abroad permanently , I will probably just go abroad for a few weeks at a time and reside at my UK property for the rest of the time...
          06-07-2022, 00:17 AM
        • Renting rooms
          by Luke
          I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
          I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
          I do not intend to live at the property
          Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
          As its...
          28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
        • Reply to Renters reform bill
          by DoricPixie
          You can thank the tenant with a dog I did let to in the past for now being reluctant to let to other people with dogs and probably cats too.

          The fact your income comes for 100% benefits isn’t a hard no though as long as you are able to pass affordability....
          05-07-2022, 23:15 PM
        • Renters reform bill
          by flyingfreehold
          i have just read an interesting summary of all that is proposed in the EG (Estates Gazette). As drafted it effectively brings back a form of rent control as tenants will have the right to go to First Tier Tribunal to challenge any rent increases which must be proposed by section 13 notices.
          04-07-2022, 16:29 PM
        • Reply to Renting rooms
          by DoricPixie
          You’re not though are you? You’re getting these people to rent the property because you’ll be living overseas. The property will cease to be your only if main home.

          Maybe you’ll get away with pretending these people are lodgers and these people will move out the property when you...
          05-07-2022, 23:09 PM
        • Reply to Renting rooms
          by Luke
          I do intend staying in the property permeantely though , although I may have to stay elsewhere sometimes...
          05-07-2022, 21:42 PM
        • Reply to Licensing inspection
          by royw
          Sounds like the power has gone to their heads Can't you, or rather the tenants, have some fun? Well placed boobie traps or a fierce dog perhaps?
          05-07-2022, 21:42 PM
        • Licensing inspection
          by Section20z
          Just had letter from London Borough of ****** saying they will be inspecting my house at some time in the next 28 days to ensure licence compliance. No further notice will be given and tenants are expected to grant access to all areas, windows to be left open for air supply, and doors all left open...
          05-07-2022, 13:57 PM
        • Reply to Renting rooms
          by ash72
          You would be creating an issue for yourself, you want to be able to evict a T (for whatever reason) which do not have the same rights as a T on an AST, the problem would be that you would have 2 T's who would have evidence etc, that you never lived there while they lived there...... When someone is...
          05-07-2022, 21:23 PM
        • Reply to Am I obliged to....
          by Sydaton
          It crosses my mind that if you install something that doesn't comply with regulations - eg a rope flush against the wall - then you might be more likely to be opening yourself up to a claim than if you'd left the stairs as they were when you bought the house....
          05-07-2022, 20:22 PM