Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excess pets

Looking for advice...
    My tenants are moving out and viewings have been carried out by them as I live further away. The feedback I have had is that they have been keeping ferrets in the attic room (droppings everywhere) and a snake! I agreed to pets but was only aware of cat and dog. This has put some tenants off and also buyers (house is for sale). They say they have cleaned the property. Can I withhold some deposit on the grounds of loss of business? Also, I never agreed to ferrets running free upstairs. People have said it smells! Tenant has said she wants to be present at final inspection. Is this ok?
    Grateful for any advice asap
    Thanks

I take it you are an accidental Landlord?

Your tenant does need to be at the final inspection and so do you unless you have an agent managing the property for you. You should have also done inspections at the property and you would have known about the ferrets then. It is a bit late to address the issue now - hopefully they haven't done any damage, but I would be surprised it they haven't had a chew at your roof joists.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymore View Post
      Your tenant does need to be at the final inspection and so do you unless you have an agent managing the property for you. You should have also done inspections at the property and you would have known about the ferrets then. It is a bit late to address the issue now - hopefully they haven't done any damage, but I would be surprised it they haven't had a chew at your roof joists.
      I like the image of the chewed joists.

That said there is no obligation of the landlord or tenant to be present at the final inspection nor any obligation to have a final inspection at all that involves the tenant or that occurs prior to the end of the tenancy.* That is not to say it is a bad idea however.

Once you give any permission for pets at all you have created the stick for your back. Some might accept that stick. You agreed to unspecified pets - lucky there wasn't a sheep and a horse.

*This is regardless of the rather wonderful "How to Rent" booklet which is discordant with the law in multiple respects.

Comment

I appreciate that your tenants pets may have put off some prospective tenants, however, unless your tenancy agreement specifically states they must allow viewings* then your tenant has no obligation to allow people into their home, so be grateful.

Did you take a deposit? Do you have proof of condition of the property when your tenants moved in? So far as compensation for loss of revenue - hmmm, dream on.

*even if it does, its nigh-on impossible to enforce.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X