This agreement is made on xxxxxxxx between the following parties:
      The Landlord Name and address
      and
      The Tenant. Name and address
      and
      The Guarantor Name and address
      Address of property
      Term of Tenancy 6 months (renewable)
      Rent per calendar month. £000.00 payable one month in advance with effect from xxxxxx
      Date rent due: 1st day of every month
      Bond: £000.00
      Rent review: The landlord reserves the right to review the rent every 12 months.

Apart from The Tenant and Guarator Undertakings from a previous thread the rest of the agreement is Tenant Undertakings and Landlord Obligations

Comment

So there's nothing at all that:
        Defines what the Guarantor is guaranteeing or mentions the Guarantor at all?
        Says anything about the agreement continuing (it's odd that the agreement is for six months and there's a rent increase every 12, for example)?
        Says anything about how the agreement is "renewed" or ended?

It's becoming more obvious why you keep getting differing legal advice, you keep changing what the agreement says.
        It's gone from this is all of it, to three more pages and the "rest of the agreement".
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

We need to see the whole agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
            So there's nothing at all that:
            Defines what the Guarantor is guaranteeing or mentions the Guarantor at all?
            Says anything about the agreement continuing (it's odd that the agreement is for six months and there's a rent increase every 12, for example)?
            Says anything about how the agreement is "renewed" or ended?

It's becoming more obvious why you keep getting differing legal advice, you keep changing what the agreement says.
            It's gone from this is all of it, to three more pages and the "rest of the agreement".
            No nothing referencing the above.
            I thought the only thing that was relevant originally was The Tenant and Guarantor Undertakings. All three solicitors have seen the full Tenancy Agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
              We need to see the whole agreement.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

This is a weird agreement.
                          There are three parties, the landlord, the tenant and the guarantor (defined and identified in the counterpart).

The tenant and the gurarantor are liable for the rent.
                          So I think the landlord's argument isn't based on the notion of the tenant not paying and liability then transferring to the guarantor if the tenant doesn't meet their own liability.
                          The guarantor is already liable for the rent, because they've signed the agreement saying they are (along with the tenant).

There are two issues with that approach.
                          That's a really unusual arrangement and I'm not sure that whoever signed as a "guarantor" could have understood the implication, which is that they're not really a guarantor at all.
                          The tenant clearly believes they were liable for the rent, because they've made an offer to pay off the arears.

If the landlord wants to take the approach that the guarantor was intended to guarantee the debt in the more conventional way, they're going to have to deal with the issue that the guarantor's liability and role isn't defined at all.
                          Which means there are issues with consideration and certainty/intent.

More to the point, while the landlord was clearly delinquent in allowing the debt to run as high as it did, the tenant knew they weren't paying rent.
                          And they should be liable for any loss you suffer.

But basically, if £25,000 is being claimed you need a solicitor - because the landlord has one and they're likely to win by default otherwise.
                          They'll get you into court and tie you in knots.
                          And the legal fees will add up themselves, so you really don't want to lose.

The third person you spoke to who spotted that the agreement isn't helpful to the landlord's case is the one I'd suggest following up with.
                          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The drafting is very amateurish. The agreement does not actually say as such that a tenancy is agreed, though that obviously has to be implied.

Anyway, the key point is surely that the agreement is for six months and that the guarantor's liability (if there ever was any) does not extent to cover the statutory periodic tenancy.

Comment

Thanks for your information, it's all positive. I have a meeting with my solicitor early in the new year, what are the key questions I should be asking him. My main worry is that if I lose the case he registers an order against my property. Is this possible when he has allowed the debt to spiral to what it is now?

Comment

Originally posted by Little Swimmer View Post
                                My main worry is that if I lose the case he registers an order against my property. Is this possible when he has allowed the debt to spiral to what it is now?
                                Only if you don't pay the judgement and costs.
                                To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Economy 7 and a smart meter
                                  by NaomiB
                                  The tank we put in was super insulated, probably cost about £200 or more. I don't think it would heat the space around it.

As a child I remember the galvanised hot water tank that was in the airing cupboard in the bathroom. Made it lovely and warm. Occasionally, it sprung a leak and...
                                  27-11-2021, 19:49 PM
                                • Economy 7 and a smart meter
                                  by NaomiB
                                  I bought my tenant three new night storage heaters at the beginning of last year to replace the old ones.

I have just taken back management of this flat and a couple of weeks ago she emailed me about them. I told her that this particular meter had the economy 7 coming on at 8am in the...
                                  23-11-2021, 21:24 PM
                                  by JK0
                                  Seriously?

Go and sit in your airing cupboard, and see if it's any warmer than outside....
                                  27-11-2021, 17:42 PM
                                  by Jon66
                                  Just an aside, if you tenant is in full time education she is probably not entitled to welfare benefits unless she has a disability. If she is in receipt of a student loan and is struggling, she should ask her college hardship fund for help. They are very good at assisting lone parents to ensure they...
                                  27-11-2021, 17:41 PM
                                • Reply to Cant accept visitors with pets
                                  by Section20z
                                  Landlord is the relevant party and presumably knows his lease so as long as she has his consent there's no problem and it certainly won't affect any reference
                                  Just because 3 old biddies are worried about their cats doesn't mean they can dictate rules...
                                  27-11-2021, 17:31 PM
                                • Cant accept visitors with pets
                                  by Katarzyna1984
                                  Hello everyone,

I am new here and I hope someone will be able to answer my question and help me out. My sister lives in rented property (flat) and she asked her landlord for a permission to accommodate my other sister with two dog for Christmas period. Landlord said he is ok with it but...
                                  26-11-2021, 19:26 PM
                                  by Section20z
                                  Water in the immersion tank will supplement the space heating ?
                                  How does that work then ?...
                                  27-11-2021, 17:25 PM
                                • Reply to Freezing cold, outdated heating and draughty insulation
                                  by Canning18
                                  Heaters seem to have sorted themselves out by now. Insulation is the much bigger issue though.

I've noticed a 1 by 4cm cutout in the drywall under the windowsill that lets in so much air it makes the curtains move by themselves.

Similarly, there is a nearly 1 cm gap between...
                                  27-11-2021, 17:18 PM
                                • Freezing cold, outdated heating and draughty insulation
                                  by Canning18
                                  Hi folks,

I’ve been renting a flat through a housing association for a few years now but find my flat to be insanely freezing during the winter (it never bothered me too much before Covid as I was away with work a lot). Last year was the first year I was around all winter and I’ve ended...
                                  26-11-2021, 10:44 AM
                                  by NaomiB
                                  Update. Got this reply "All the advice you have given is very much appreciated but they are things that i have already done at one point or another over the past 7 years. The new heaters are set to that youtube video anyway and i have sent them all to the electrician and he says they are correct....
                                  27-11-2021, 17:09 PM
                                Working...
                                X