Have I been given notice if my flat is on the market?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thesaint
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    The tenancy agreement can't force you to pay rent.
    It makes the rent owed and the landlord can sue if its not paid.

You can't (for example) steal the money owed from the tenant.
    You have to use the courts to recover the money owed.
    Exactly my point.
    There's no difference.

Interlaken wasn't using the term "force" literally. He/she was implying/saying, what it says "doesn't matter".

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    The tenancy agreement can't force you to pay rent.
    It makes the rent owed and the landlord can sue if its not paid.

You can't (for example) steal the money owed from the tenant.
    You have to use the courts to recover the money owed.

Leave a comment:

• thesaint
    replied
    It's like saying a tenancy agreement can't force you to pay rent.

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    I'd tend to side with Interlaken. There is a difference between law, statute etc and the 'real world'.

If Mr Tenant says 'no', changes the locks and goes out, then viewings are not going to happen, it is a clear indication that any previous agreement, written or otherwise, has been rescinded.

Now Mr Landlord could, if he had the time and money, take the issue to court and get a court order that the tenant allows visits - Mr Landlord may even end up enforcing that with bailiffs. However, in the real world, it ain't going to happen.

Leave a comment:

• thesaint
    replied
    Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
    There is no way that any AST (your agreement) can force you to allow any viewings.
    This is incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• Claymore
    replied
    No, the 3rd is the first day of the periodic tenancy. You would need to serve notice by 2nd February at the very latest if you wanted to leave on 2nd March.

Plenty of landlords would be reasonable and flexible to the one month notice so long as you communicate properly your intentions.

Leave a comment:

• pebblepebble
    replied
    Lawcruncher,

Sorry but being a bit thick here. Say a tenancy had rolled over into a periodic tenancy. Original tenancy had started on the 3rd of the month and rent due monthly on the 3rd. If you wanted to give a months notice to leave on 2nd March would you have to give it on the 2nd Feb or could you leave it until the 3rd Feb?

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Even better!

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    Technically it's a minimum of one month ending at the end of a rental period.
    Make that:

If the tenancy is monthly, it's a minimum of one month ending at the end of a tenancy period.

A "rental period" is the period from one rent day to the next.

A "tenancy period" is the period of a periodic tenancy the length and start and end dates of which depend on the circumstances and in the case of a statutory periodic AST are determined by section 5(3)(d) of the Housing Act 1988 - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/50/section/5 Whilst the section does not expressly say so, the first period must of necessity start immediately after the fixed term ends.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Technically it's a minimum of one month ending at the end of a rental period.
    Which is normally the rent due date. but doesn't have to be.

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by Rule&Regs View Post
    Thank you for that clarification Claymore - I shall give my notice first thing tomorrow.
    Don't forget that it's one month's notice from the next rent day, not from the day you give notice...

Leave a comment:

• Interlaken
    replied
    There is no way that any AST (your agreement) can force you to allow any viewings. Change the locks if necessary to prevent others accessing and preventing your 'quiet enjoyment' of the property.

Has the landlord/agent protected your deposit?

Leave a comment:

• Rule&Regs
    replied
    Thank you for that clarification Claymore - I shall give my notice first thing tomorrow. I read about the confusion with serving a S21 when a deposit hasn't been protected and realise I need to take control and leave the landlord to his own problems. Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• Claymore
    replied
    No. You haven't been given notice just because the flat is being marketed. To give you notice your landlord should serve you with an S21. If he hasn't then you haven't been served notice.

By law you are obliged to give your Landlord one month notice when you are ready to leave.

Leave a comment:

• Have I been given notice if my flat is on the market?

Hello everyone, I’m a tenant and new to this forum.

My situation appears on the periphery of those covered previously hence my post. My original 12 month AST expired June 2015 when my landlord decided to ditch his letting agent to save paying their fees. Despite his reassurances that I could sign a new 12 month contract it came to nothing and I began to suspect perhaps my landlord was having financial difficulties. Four months of uncertainly rolled by and in November he decided to sell. Disappointing for me, but I understand.

The flat has since been cleverly marketed with some positive information about me just in case a buy-to-let landlord is willing to risk taking me with the flat, but of course anyone can view, and indeed they have been viewing. My preference was to stay so I thought I may as well try to run with it for a month. A month on I just can’t take the stress and I need to find somewhere else to live.

The agent called me on New Years’ eve to request two blocks of booking next week. My blood pressure rose immediately at the thought of trying to juggle my own work because my own office is in the flat. I recognise the agent has his job to do and he has not really asked for anything unreasonable, however, it is still not convenient and I am in a continual state of stress. As such, I told the estate agent I must now take control of my own life and that I have decided to leave. He then told me the landlord needs my rent until end of March and that have not been given notice. As you might imagine, that has annoyed me somewhat and I politely advised the agent I disagreed with his view.

Until now I have maintained a professional relationship with the landlord and I have no particular problem with the agent either. However, I do now feel I am being taken for a fool. I have assumed my expired AST rolled over to a periodic tenancy despite it being drafted by the now ditched lettings agent. My deposit was repaid in June and I returned it to the landlord immediately. He did not place it in a new TDS (a separate problem but I do know what to do if and when the time comes thanks to this forum).

So, my question to members is do you think I have been given notice by the flat being put on the market and having endured a month a viewings already? The expired AST alludes to me having to permit viewings in the last 8 weeks but is otherwise unclear. If I have to I shall just give a month’s notice and be done with it but my preference is to start looking immediately and get away asap. Either way, I am not hanging on until March because my landlord needs the rent.

Thank you

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Mandating Wifi
    by spicelord
    Nice idea on using a MIFI as it gets around the whole issue of needing access to their wifi in the first place to connect to the smart devices. But then some tenants may also want to get the alerts, which is fine as long as the MIFI device is locked down and can't be used to access the internet for...
    24-06-2021, 20:58 PM
  • Mandating Wifi
    by spicelord
    Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before. I'm renovating following a huge fire in the property and I'm additionally going to install Google Nest Smoke alarms to send a remote alert to my phone as well as ring an alarm for any occupants. Unfortunately this needs wifi which is the responsibility...
    24-06-2021, 01:40 AM
  • Reply to Roof Problems
    by Hudson01
    Given your LL appears to have employed total Muppets he should be moving you out until the job is done, his LL insurance should have cover for alternative accommodation.
    24-06-2021, 20:04 PM
  • Roof Problems
    by Gary_236
    Been a tenant in my flat for 7 years. Been a great tenant, always pay rent on time. No issues at all. I like the location, it's close to my friends, so everything is fine. The property is a house split into 4 flats. I am top floor flat. New landlord bought property last summer. I started to get a leak...
    24-06-2021, 18:17 PM
  • Reply to Should I tell my landlord?
    by Hudson01
    I have seen this exact situation in my job....... look to move, it will not be resolved. The flats i dealt with were purpose built so you would have expected the correct amount of sound separation, in your situation that will not even be there, you will go round in circles, have lots of stress and probably...
    24-06-2021, 19:49 PM
  • Should I tell my landlord?
    by Bee82
    Hi all, new to the forum! I’m just after some advice as to whether I should inform my landlord about a situation with my neighbours. Just for reference, I am renting a ground floor flat that was previously a house and is now two flats. As it’s an old building the walls are paper thin so it can get...
    24-06-2021, 18:02 PM
  • Reply to Should I tell my landlord?
    by Section20z
    Yeah, why not ? I would want to know about something impacting on my investment. I hope you reach some solution...
    24-06-2021, 18:32 PM
  • Reply to Tenant . log burner to replace open fire or electric night storage heater . Costs
    by patrick27
    No way I would replace or install a solid fuel appliance, way too dangerous and not environmentally friendly. Get some real nice ones on YouTube, that’s what I use at Christmas on TV…has everything…tree, gifts, fire even stockings. Just the job.
    24-06-2021, 17:52 PM
  • Tenant . log burner to replace open fire or electric night storage heater . Costs
    by AnthonyNorris
    Good afternoon.

I have a tenant at a house for 5 years now and had the chimney outside stack removed in March this year. Prior to this it was an open fire.

am I supposed to replace this with a log burner as it’s very costly for the installation, flue and liner and it’s...
    23-06-2021, 12:03 PM
  • Reply to Mandating Wifi
    by nukecad
    You can manually put them on different wifi chanels to prevent that.

Modern routers can work that out for themselves and set to a less used channel if needed, may take them a week or so to monitor who is using what channels and adjust....
    24-06-2021, 16:44 PM
Working...
X