Tenant has no credit refs.- should I trust him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant has no credit refs.- should I trust him?

Hi all,
    We have recently bought a house on a B2L.

We have found some tenants to go into the property. 2 adults and 2 children.
    He states that he is 'self employed' but I have my doubts as he has no books or no accountant.
    She is not working, but she gets a carers allowance for 1 of the children.
    They have recently sold their house and say they are waiting to buy again and want to rent for 6 months before they look around for a new property.
    I have run a credit check on him which all seems to be in order, and am waiting for a character reference back from a 'professional' person.
    Should I run a check on her also?
    Do I have to put both of them on the AST because the one I have only really allows for 1, and if so is there some specific thing I should write or just add her into the AST underneath his details?

Would anyone have any worries about the fact that he keeps no books or has no accountant? Is there any way of checking if this guy is actually unemployed, because I have my suspicions, (he's always in when I've called at their house at varying times of the day) or am I just being too cautious?
    Ambition is Critical

I don't profess to be a knowledge in all areas, my advice is based on life experience.

Wouldn't touch with bargepole unless you gave them six month contract and they paid the whole six months up front.

All people over 18 to go on contract, all to be credit checked.

No decent self employed person operates without an accountant and without books.

Comment

references ? maybe ask for sight of bank statements to demonstrate solvency and cash flow ? if they were property owners did they have the mortgage and can they prove that they met those payments regularly ?

Don't think you can ever be too cautious - not with a first time BTL.

Comment

Ambition is Critical

I don't profess to be a knowledge in all areas, my advice is based on life experience.

Comment

If it feels dodgy it probably is, and this feels dodgy.
          Don't touch.

Tony

Comment

I agree it sounds fishy.

As for bank statements you should ask to see both business and personal statements. Remember he could be borrowing these business statements from a mate. Also ask for a passport to prove the guy is who he says he is.

If you are in an area where it is easy to let you would probably be better off taking someone with a regular job.

Comment

cheers guys will take all the above advice.
              Ambition is Critical

Comment

Well he sounds like me. I do the books myself (dumped the accountant years ago) so showing them would be worthless.

I got round it by paying six months upfront. Thereafter paid monthly.

Didn't have mortgage statements either as that was paid off years ago.

What they did ask for was a reference from my solicitor, who was selling the house, which I was happy to give.

I am a model tenant. Never paid late, never any adverse comments from inspections, all deposit returned, stayed a long time ...

Oh and I'm always home, that's where the computer is.

So it isn't necessarily dodgy. I guess this is where you use your gut feel!
                ~~~~~

Comment

Some Good Points raised here Ruth Less. (although he states he's a builder so can't imagine he's gonna stay at home working, it has been raining though)
                  Thankyou.
                  Ambition is Critical

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Flat rental bathroom query
                    by Landyman
                    Are you saying that the toilet and basin are out in the open, adjacent to the kitchen? Or are they in a separate room?

Does the room have a window? Or a fan ventilator?

It's had to visualise exactly what you mean. Could you sketch a simple floorplan and upload that here p...
                    16-01-2022, 23:47 PM
                  • Flat rental bathroom query
                    by NewGuyOne
                    Hello,

A rented flat with a toilet (of course) and basin next to the kitchen, and a bedroom with a quite small en suite - shower/basin/rail for towel ... Is this acceptable in a flat - with no additional separate bathroom?

Flat consists of 1 bedroom en suite, hallway, lounge,...
                    16-01-2022, 20:13 PM
                  • Reply to Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
                    by axil23
                    Thank you Lawcruncher.

Just so I am not reading the lease wrong. Executed as a deed means that it has to say that and be witnessed by a 3rd party right?...
                    16-01-2022, 23:23 PM
                  • Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
                    by axil23
                    I have rented my house to a {name removed} who use it to house Asylum seekers from a govt contract. In June the flat roof developed a leak and they asked me to fix it which I did the next day. 6 months later I get a bill for £1900 for scaffolding, asbestos survey, party wall agreement & for some...
                    13-01-2022, 12:05 PM
                  • surrender of lease charges
                    by jshire
                    Hi,
                    I'm trying to assist a family member who is in the process of surrendering a lease on a shared flat (all tenants moving out). The landlord agreed as the reasons were reasonable. He's sent an email stating that there will be costs that the tenants have to meet, charged by the letting agent...
                    16-01-2022, 20:49 PM
                  • Reply to Gas certificate fail
                    by MdeB
                    But if you had a valid certificate when the tenancy started but failed to give it to the tenant, then I believe that providing them with a current certificate before serving S21 will be OK....
                    16-01-2022, 20:30 PM
                  • Gas certificate fail
                    by ReginaPhalangi
                    We've been renting out our property since 2017 and now have given notice to our tenants to leave. However we have just realised that we have failed to get a gas certificate during their tenancy. Is it possible to get the gas certificate now? Would we need to give notice again after we issue the gas...
                    15-01-2022, 20:05 PM
                  • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
                    by MdeB
                    There are a number (of the order of 20) of grounds under which possession can be sought. See the Housing Act 1988.

The claim is for the period for which they were paying rent whilst there was no required licence in place, up to a maximum of 12 months. Getting a licence ends...
                    16-01-2022, 19:32 PM
                  • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
                    by MdeB
                    That depends on when the tenancy started.

Or, possibly, the one in place when it is given to the tenant. The regulations are ambiguous...
                    16-01-2022, 19:18 PM
                  • Reply to Wales: New Legislation – your roles and responsibilities
                    by steaming
                    4. Antisocial behaviour…..a fair and consistent approach to everyone. No. 4 is then not mentioned in the extended information (click link). Surely this needs explaining in detail or, maybe, they haven’t actually thought further that the nine words used. No surprise.
                    16-01-2022, 19:17 PM
                  Working...
                  X