Problems being accepted as tenant- please advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems being accepted as tenant- please advise

I have, in the past 2 months started a new job as a trainee accountant so am looking to move closer to my place of work. I have a good credit history, have not been out of work since I graduated 2 years ago and I have been a 'good' tenant in my current property for just under 2 years, I have always paid my rent on time.

I viewed a house share and the current tenants are happy to recruit me as a tenant so I applied to the landlord. The landlord rejected my application and after many unfruitful phone calls with the lettings agency, I found that the agent had text one of the current tenants in the property to say that the landlord was concerned that I am a 'trainee' and had only been in my current job for 2 months.

The landlord requested that I have a guarantor so my parents agreed to be a guarantor. They have also asked for a copy of my employment contract, payslips, and confirmation from the remaining tenants that they are happy for me to be the new tenant. The lettings agency have said that I may need to pay 3 months' rent in advance, but that this rent would be for the end of the tenancy not the immediate 3 months if I were to be accepted. I said this was unfair and I'd be happy to pay a larger deposit instead.

I believe that the lettings agency and maybe the landlord to an extent are being avaricious as it would cost £2,500 to move into the house share! The new landlord has not bothered to contact my current landlord and they are rejecting me on the basis of my current situation and EVEN WITH A GUARANTOR!

Can someone shed some light on this please or should I just walk away?

Trouble is that all my 'bad' tenants think they are 'good' tenants.

If you can't/won't meet the requirements, there's not much point in arguing, is there?

Comment

Well I am a good tenant (pay rent on time, don't cause any damage etc) and landlord is just being greedy!!

Comment

Originally posted by oasis10 View Post
        Well I am a good tenant (pay rent on time, don't cause any damage etc) and landlord is just being greedy!!
        It's not really greed asking for money that you are going to pay anyway, they're not asking for more money. They are trying to mitigate risk.
        "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

I understand that but they have asked for a guarantor and I've told them I can provide one and why would the advance rent payment cover rent for a few months' time not the immediate 3 months!

Comment

As a tenant myself I have to say that you have 2 choices here.
            1. Accept what is being proposed.
            2. Walk away and find somewhere else to rent.

It's a contract between you and a landlord, neither of you know each other so it all depends on how much risk you each want to take.

It sounds like this landlord does not want to take a risk on your particular circumstances.
            That's his choice. Find another landlord who will.

You cannot force someone into a business arrangement they don't want to accept.
            (and why would you want to?)

Comment

But surely his risk is mitigated with a guarantor?

Comment

I think we are misunderstanding o/p question:

He thinks landlord is being unreasonable, and one of us will point him to a tribunal that will establish that, and let him move in on his terms.

Comment

Nope, just confused as to why the landlord needs advance rent AND a guarantor? ??

Comment

I paid advanced rent, but did not need a guarantor.
                    i have never needed a ref from a previous landlord, and the last one evicted me because I complained abolut damp, and snow coming in through closed windows.
                    Maybe he did not like me gettin a solicitor, a barrister, and the envionmental health onto him

You will NOT be the only one looking at the premises.
                    If they get a working person earning twice as much as you, you will not be considered.

You are a risk, a trainee, who can be sacked after 3 months if you don't perform.
                    Landlords only have ONE customer when you get a flat, so that is not a very good business proposal, is it ? . One and only one customer for a 6 month contract. ( Financial suicide ? )

I can spend £ 100,000 on a business proposal, and it wont be to buy a house / flat, but a business that gets 50 to 100 customers a day, -- not ONE customer in a rented flat.

Now do you see why a landlord with only ONE customer has to be VERY careful who they choose to ensure they have money for 6 months.

Comment

We are talking about a house share where I've met all the tenants and they picked me from about 6 others. I can't see why the landlord needs advance rent AND a guarantor. surely if he has a guarantor he can be sure he will receive rent. Also yes I'm a trainee but in some professions it can take years to train therefore they have the 'trainee' title for several years.

Comment

Originally posted by oasis10 View Post
                        The lettings agency have said that I may need to pay 3 months' rent in advance, but that this rent would be for the end of the tenancy not the immediate 3 months if I were to be accepted. I said this was unfair and I'd be happy to pay a larger deposit instead.
                        I'll offer you a third choice.

'rent in advance' is generally a deposit (assuming you are paying monthly on top of that as it seems to be suggested). However, the agency and landlord are probably too clueless to know that - so it probably wont be protected. Take the offer and pay the advanced rent if you can, then when you move out sue the landlord for 1-3x that amount of money as a penalty as the law allows you to do. If you stay there for a year, a 100% minimum interest rate (and potentially 300%) is a lot better than any ISA is offering at the moment.

Comment

Thanks Ryan 28! And yes they're expecting 3 months' rent in advance for June, July, August then for me to pay Jan rent in advance too then pay monthly for the interim months.

Comment

The landlord has given you the criteria in which he will accept you, based on information leading to his concerns..

If you don't like the answers he gave you, then look for somewhere else.

Don't reply with, But, but , but.
                            Your job conditions are the cause of the landlords concerns.
                            It's not the landlord, it's You.

Good luck.

Comment

Guarantors can be as slippery as any T in avoiding paying when required. Gone are the days of 'My word is my bond'.
                              Unless they own a property, or earn £30K+ pa, to which a Recovery Order can be attached, they are of little value for most LLs.
                              As for the Ts preferring you, perhaps you promised them some top grade 'nose candy'.
                              Best advice -stick with current accom/LL and accept a longer commute, at least until you have a perm Contract of Employment.
                              Letting is a form of loosely regulated credit Agreement, much like a Mortgage. I doubt I could get a Mortgage today with current checks.
                              Homily learned in childhood 'The World owes you a living, but you have to work hard to collect it'.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X