Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registered Tenant Dies, what next?

Guys,

I would be very grateful for any information as to where I stand and what to do next. My registered long-term tenant has died after 40 years tenure.

How long should/do I give the family to clear out the flat?

Do I need to serve a reposession notice, if so to whom?

What other pitfalls can I fall in over getting the property back?

The daughter has so far expressed no interest in taking over the tenancy and already has an established abode elsewhere, so I don't hink that will be a problem

Thanks

Dave

Was T a Rent Act tenant? Who else (in T's family) was also resident there?
    If no family resident, no succession rights- see Schedule 1 to Rent Act 1977.
    If you need to serve a formal Notice, you must comply with s.18 of Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1994. Address it to "Personal Representatives of X" and send to:
    a. X at the property (yes, I know that he/she is dead!); and
    b. The Public Trustee (address in London- not sure where).
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

She lived alone and the children are both grown (over 50) and have their own homes. The daughter I spoke to today gave no indication that they wanted to continue the tenancy, but I was wondering if (as the law is an ass when it comes to registered tenants), if I have to formally serve a notice of my intention to reposess or whether as the Reg. Tenant has died if that is necessary?

i.e. does the act of the daughter handing over the keys constitute the formal end of the tenancy or is there a notice to be served anyhow?

Sorry if this sound daft, I am very keen not to make any mistakes here

Dave

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X