Ccj

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ccj

I am trying to rent a property but my fiancée has ccj that she doesn't know anything about so we lost the house. I have applied for another property on my own but the estate agent says they must tell the next property about her even if it's in my name.

Sorry to hear that.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Can they do this ?

Comment

Your girlfriend needs to check her credit report (noddle is the best free one I've found) and see who has the CCJ against her. Either that or she needs to rack her brains to try and remember which bills she hasn't paid and/or who has taken her to Court.

Comment

We have done this and she has to wait ten days. Can the estate agent tell other landlords even if it's just me applying

Comment

Can you afford the full rent on just your wages?

Comment

Originally posted by Amatthews622 View Post
              We have done this and she has to wait ten days. Can the estate agent tell other landlords even if it's just me applying
              Yes.
              They know something and work for the landlord(s) not you.

Wait until you know what the ccj is for, telling a potential landlord you have a ccj but don't know why is not a great reference.
              Telling a potential landlord you have a ccj but its because of x and then y happened, you might get some sympathy.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The system is working. People with CCJs should find things difficult. Who believes she knew nothing about it? Hmm. Good on the Agent for protecting their customers. Hope your other half can do something about this ASAP.

Comment

It's quite easy to find yourself with a CCJ without knowing about it, particularly if you move quite frequently.

Comment

I've commented on 'unknown' CCJ's a couple of times before. It's unsettlingly easy to get one without prior knowledge, and even harder to justify it to credit agencies. A disproportionate number of CCJ's are issued through local authority council tax recovery, particularly for ridiculously low values.
                    If, for example, a tenant/resident moves house believing they have correctly closed off their affairs but a later reassessment of the CT bill is produced (even by a couple of days), then a balance can be created. If the local authority then fails to establish contact with the former resident (as they are notorious for incorrectly entering forwarding addresses) then they will simply proceed to court. I've seen Council Tax CCJ's for as little as £30 and there is absolutely nothing the recipient can do to mitigate it once it's issued and they are made aware of it. Even if it is paid in full as soon as they know, it's on record and hammers their credit file for six years.
                    I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

Comment

You shouldn't get a CCJ for non-payment of Council Tax. Council Tax arrears are dealt with by Liability Orders in the Magistrates' Court (hence why you can be sent to prison for non-payment).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                        by Hudson01
                        As said above, unless being a landlord has been a childhood dream (weird if it were), i vote to sell and move on. A lot of experienced LL's are selling up anyway due to a multitude of rubbish from the govt, in your position, simply reap the reward of your late fathers good financial decisions and enjoy...
                        25-01-2022, 16:44 PM
                      • Inherited a few rentals
                        by Landlord7289
                        Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
                        25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
                      • Reply to What to do at the end of an AST period?
                        by jtufty
                        I hear you loud and clear! Periodic it is then! Cheers...
                        25-01-2022, 16:39 PM
                      • What to do at the end of an AST period?
                        by jtufty
                        Hi,

I rent a property. The initial 6 months of the AST ends in Jan 2022. The tenant is very nice and she asked yesterday if she can stay on for another 6 months.

Is it a simple case of just giving her another AST contract to sign? Im sure it is, but wondered if theres anything...
                        28-12-2021, 08:35 AM
                      • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                        by DoricPixie
                        Why "in light of the minimal tenancy paperwork" do you think you will have a difficult time retrieving the money owed from the tenant?

As above, check the Section 21 is valid, see link to flow chart below. If the Section 21 is valid and the tenant is still in the property then...
                        25-01-2022, 16:26 PM
                      • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                        by Beeble
                        We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
                        25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
                      • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                        by jpucng62
                        My property portfolio has always been managed by agents, originally through necessity (I was a long way away), latterly through choice (I don't want to be available 24/7). I use small independent agencies and I keep them on a tight rein - but it works for me! I like to have that distance between me...
                        25-01-2022, 16:25 PM
                      • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                        by AVJ113
                        Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                        20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
                      • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                        by DoricPixie
                        Another vote for sell unless being a landlord is something you are particularly interested in doing. Yes, you can use a letting agency to manage the lets but ultimately the buck stops with you and in my experience a lot of letting agencies out there are pretty crap. Plus as a higher rate tax payer...
                        25-01-2022, 16:19 PM
                      • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                        by Hudson01
                        Ok before you even consider what the agent did or did not do you need to get a handle on exactly what the tenancy says, if the s21 was valid and what the intentions of YOUR tenant are, you need them out asap, a lot of agents are utterly useless, are you located far away from the property and is that...
                        25-01-2022, 15:58 PM
                      Working...
                      X