Ccj

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ccj

I am trying to rent a property but my fiancée has ccj that she doesn't know anything about so we lost the house. I have applied for another property on my own but the estate agent says they must tell the next property about her even if it's in my name.

Sorry to hear that.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Can they do this ?

Comment

Your girlfriend needs to check her credit report (noddle is the best free one I've found) and see who has the CCJ against her. Either that or she needs to rack her brains to try and remember which bills she hasn't paid and/or who has taken her to Court.

Comment

We have done this and she has to wait ten days. Can the estate agent tell other landlords even if it's just me applying

Comment

Can you afford the full rent on just your wages?

Comment

Originally posted by Amatthews622 View Post
              We have done this and she has to wait ten days. Can the estate agent tell other landlords even if it's just me applying
              Yes.
              They know something and work for the landlord(s) not you.

Wait until you know what the ccj is for, telling a potential landlord you have a ccj but don't know why is not a great reference.
              Telling a potential landlord you have a ccj but its because of x and then y happened, you might get some sympathy.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The system is working. People with CCJs should find things difficult. Who believes she knew nothing about it? Hmm. Good on the Agent for protecting their customers. Hope your other half can do something about this ASAP.

Comment

It's quite easy to find yourself with a CCJ without knowing about it, particularly if you move quite frequently.

Comment

I've commented on 'unknown' CCJ's a couple of times before. It's unsettlingly easy to get one without prior knowledge, and even harder to justify it to credit agencies. A disproportionate number of CCJ's are issued through local authority council tax recovery, particularly for ridiculously low values.
                    If, for example, a tenant/resident moves house believing they have correctly closed off their affairs but a later reassessment of the CT bill is produced (even by a couple of days), then a balance can be created. If the local authority then fails to establish contact with the former resident (as they are notorious for incorrectly entering forwarding addresses) then they will simply proceed to court. I've seen Council Tax CCJ's for as little as £30 and there is absolutely nothing the recipient can do to mitigate it once it's issued and they are made aware of it. Even if it is paid in full as soon as they know, it's on record and hammers their credit file for six years.
                    I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

Comment

You shouldn't get a CCJ for non-payment of Council Tax. Council Tax arrears are dealt with by Liability Orders in the Magistrates' Court (hence why you can be sent to prison for non-payment).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X