Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S21 Notice New Rules

Good morning,

I have a tenant whose tenancy started on the 5th October 2015 and ends on the 4th April 2016.

Can you please advise on when is the earliest I can serve a s21 notice and when shall it expire under the new rules?

Thank you in advance.

You can't serve one until four months after the start of the tenancy (5th February 2016 to end on 4th April at the earliest*).
    It will expire after 6 months, if you have not started the repossession process.

*There is some complexity here, because no one's done it yet.
    It seems strange that the notice has to be served on exactly the right day to give notice for the end of the fixed period (it's so easy to get wrong), but the alternative is giving notice to end just after the end of the fixed period to be safe,
    which leaves you with some "odd" days rent to collect.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

So to sum up, the earliest I can serve on the 5th of Feb and allow for two business days (that is, deemed receipt will be on the 9th) and the notice to end on the 9th of April, is that correct?

And this will be due to expire 6 months after it was sent, received or deemed to have been received?

Comment

Notices aren't "sent", notices are "served".

You can hand them to the tenant and serve them there and then.
        If you post them, you allow two business days for service, but there's nothing to stop you posting them a couple of business days early, with the dates being the 4th, not the 9th.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X