Bailiffs ineffective to recover rent arrears

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Bailiffs ineffective to recover rent arrears

    Tell your solicitors to call it a day - pay them what you owe and ask for the file on the chappie.

    You need the case number and the warrant number from the files. Get some evidence that the guy lives there despite what the bailiffs have been told. Enquire of neighbours, car registration, local shops etc. When you have got all that - re-issue the warrant (free) yourself in your name rather than the name of the solicitors - this way, you wont be paying your solicitors for a process you can do yourself. If you have a car reg. pass that to the bailiffs, they might be able to sieze it.

    If your debtor has got a job, you can sieze wages, if he owns any property (do an online search with land registry over the house he is in at the moment - see who owns it), you can bung a charging order over it. All these you can do yourself - you dont need your solicitor any more!

    Forms you require are on the court service website under forms.


      Trouble with court bailiffs is that they are civil servants who work set daytime hours and do not have a commission/incentive structure based on results. Hence they pretty much near useless for debt collection. I have given up using them for debt completely.

      HOWEVER there may be a solution - particularly if you can identify him as owning a car!

      Transfer your claim upHCEO Association's site for those that cover your area.

      Not tried this yet, only having found out about it recently. Sounds more promising than the normal bailiffs though.
      On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.


        Be aware that if you transfer to the high court for enforcement and instruct the High Court Sheriffs, you will incur further fees, both for the transfer and some costs even if the sheriffs officers are unsuccessful.

        High Court Bailiffs/Sheriffs are bound by the same legislation as the county court ones insofar as to what they can take (i.e. they cannot take the wife's goods of a debtor, nor a car on HP, bedding, clothing, tools of trade etc.)



          Thanks very much for your help.

          Sadly he neither owns the flat nor a car.

          He is a self-employed musician and licensed London busker - with a website and a manager.

          Can any of this be of any help ?

          thanks again, it is much appreciated



          Latest Activity