Let to so-called friend but no written Agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let to so-called friend but no written Agreement

Yes, you can still evict him even without a AST ( Although it hasn't helped you by not having one )

Issue a S.8 notice for late and non-payment of rent and also a S.21.
    With any luck, he may just leave.
    If not, then seek possession via the courts.

Comment

Ok, thanks for that.

Comment

Just one other thing.... do I have to give the tenant 2 month notice with a S8 as you do with a S21?

Comment

On s8, you only need to give 2 weeks notice before you go for court proceedings.

Comment

Originally posted by tahmur View Post
            On s8, you only need to give 2 weeks notice before you go for court proceedings.
            ...unless the Notice specifies not only g8/10/11 (or one or two of these) but also g1,2,5,6,7,9,or16. Use of these (or one or more of these), with or without any other grounds except g14, necessitates a two-month Notice period, See s.8(4A) and s.8(4B).
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Jeffrey,

should the OP also send tenant a S48 notice of Landlords address, so that he can validly claim the rent (even though the friend most likely knows where he lives) ?
              All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

The grounds I'm evicting him with are 8, 10 & 11 if this is any help.

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post
                  Jeffrey,

should the OP also send tenant a S48 notice of Landlords address, so that he can validly claim the rent (even though the friend most likely knows where he lives) ?
                  Yes. To avoid Dirty Stop Out's so-called friend T clutching at this straw, serve Notice under s.48 of LTA 1987 specifying L's "address in England and Wales at which Notices (including Notices in proceedings) may be served on [L] by [T]."
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Stop Out View Post
                    The grounds I'm evicting him with are 8, 10 & 11 if this is any help.
                    Yes. That means a simple two-week Notice period (and not the longer period which I mentioned).

Comment

Where can I get a S48 from?

Comment

You cant.

Just send a letter advising your tenant in writing of your contact details as required under S.48 of the act.

That's all you need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
                          You cant.

Just send a letter advising your tenant in writing of your contact details as required under S.48 of the act.

That's all you need to do.
                          A letter is OK, I agree, but you CAN buy/download a formal s.48 Notice (despite Colin's doubts).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                            A letter is OK, I agree, but you CAN buy/download a formal s.48 Notice (despite Colin's doubts).
                            Great, i've learned something new for today.

Any ideas where I can get one, for my own use?

Comment

Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
                              Great, i've learned something new for today.

Any ideas where I can get one, for my own use?
                              Most Law Stationers, I guess. Try Shaw's Forms at www.shaws.co.uk (not a relation of mine) and Oyez at www.oyez.co.uk or www.oyezformslink.co.uk.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X