Tenant entirely undocumented; what staus is his tenancy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant entirely undocumented; what staus is his tenancy?

Information please on "sitting tenants"

Originally posted by vipfae View Post
    Information please on "sitting tenants"
    Sitting tenants, sit down.

Other than that, what information do you require, your post is to vague.

Comment

sitting tenants

If a tenant is taken on without a lease- just a receipt for cash of initial moving in- not even a rent book, under what legal standing are they? can they become that dreaded thing- sitting tenant? even though they paid no more rent after that one time, refusing to pay, or go, saying "talk to my lawyer".Court date for repossession but no legal agreement to produce.

Comment

Depending on when they moved in, they are NOT sitting tenants but they have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. Just not in writing.
        GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by justaboutsane View Post
          Depending on when they moved in, they are NOT sitting tenants but they have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. Just not in writing.
          Yes: "sitting tenant" usually means T (whether tenancy is written or oral) who remains resident despite change of L.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

When did they move into the property?

Comment

sitting tenant

moved in March 18, 2007.Paid only one time.
              Court date for repossession Aug 24, 2007.
              No lease but court documentation of police being called in,assault charge, superintendant nose broke when asked for rent

Comment

Originally posted by vipfae View Post
                moved in March 18, 2007.Paid only one time.
                Court date for repossession Aug 24, 2007.
                No lease but court documentation of police being called in,assault charge, superintendant nose broke when asked for rent
                I don't understand, why did the police attend just because the tenant had not paid, and why would they send a superintendant?

Comment

Sitting Tenant

i MENTION THE ASSAULT AS i BELIEVE THIS WILL BE IN MY FAVOUR IN COURT. i HAVE A "SUPERINTENDANT" ON THE PREMISES.WHO TAKES CARE OF THE PROPERTY FOR ME & cOLLECT RENTS.wHEN HE ATTEMPTED TO DO SO THERE WAS A FIGHT & THE POLICE WERE CALLED.NIGHT SPENT IN JAIL SO THERE IS DOCUMENTATION. sEPERATE COURT CASE FOR THIS ASSAULT CASE.

Comment

Issue a section 8 notice for non-payment of rent and also a Section 21 as a back up.

Then go to court to regain possession.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X